What's new
What's new

Old Surface Plate Needs New Stand

MariaK

Plastic
I have an old surface plate made by Jones Bros., patent # 2,410,877 (8/27/1943), and am looking for a new stand. The plate has a ledge and measures 30" x 20-3/4" at the base, 30" x 24" at the top, 6" thick. The manufacturer is long since out of business. We lifted the plate today and it weighs ~370 lbs. I did not see any contact points or marks on the bottom.

I know that new plates are made to spec GGG-P-463C, for three points of contact. I believe this plate was made before that spec was published. Do I need a stand that has three points or would I be better off with one that does not have points? Also, I was told I could use a stand made for a 24" x 36" plate...is that right? I did see Mitutoyo has a 24" x 30" stand, but it is out of our price range.

I have an old surface plate made by Jones Bros., patent # 2,410,877 (8/27/1943), and am looking for a new stand. The plate has a ledge and measures 30" x 20-3/4" at the base, 30" x 24" at the top, 6" thick. The manufacturer is long since out of business. We lifted the plate today and it weighs ~370 lbs. I did not see any contact points or marks on the bottom.

I know that new plates are made to spec GGG-P-463C, for three points of contact. I believe this plate was made before that spec was published. Do I need a stand that has three points or would I be better off with one that does not have points? Also, I was told I could use a stand made for a 24" x 36" plate...is that right? I did see Mitutoyo has a 24" x 30" stand, but it is out of our price range.

I would do 3 points. What's your price range? Got a mig welder? 100.00 worth of 2"angle iron and you have a stand, job done.

Here are the proper support locations. They're areas, not "points" in the sense of being sharp.
I figure the minimum support diameter to be 1 inch, although I prefer larger.
If you use a "swivel leveling mount" as designed to support a machine, you get a guaranteed flat support surface. McMaster-Carr

Surface%20Plate%20Supports.png

- Leigh

I would do 3 points. What's your price range? Got a mig welder? 100.00 worth of 2"angle iron and you have a stand, job done.

We do not have a mig welder. We hope to spend less than $300. We did get a quote on a custom stand, but it was over $600, and was not approved.

Check out MSC's offerings. I would have recommended Enco, but MSC recently purchased Enco. There are some sub-$300 units there.

IMO, you are likely overthinking the support questions. If it were my decision, I would just buy one of the inexpensive ones, and modify as needed when you get it. Adding a couple of angle iron or channel pieces where needed for support of your plate is a pretty easy task, even with only a hand drill and hacksaw at your disposal. The reason for the open frame construction of surface plate stands is to promote thermal equilibrium primarily (as well as cost reduction, but if this is not a big concern, you could even drop an aluminum plate into a 24x36 stand, and put 3 point supports on the plate as required. Leave a decent air gap and thermal issues are minimized.

One side note: I wouldn't plan to use the inexpensive stands as rolling stands without additional diagonal bracing.

These stands are all made for 36 x 24 plates. What I am unsure of is if these stands will work well with our existing plate, which is 30 x 24.

Look at wot Leigh posted. Calculate 'pads' for your plate - if not already there.

Then see what others have said - Specfab on 'overthinking' especially.

My 30" X 48" - also an odd-size, but, hey - it wheels through ordinary doorways - had fifty and more years on a four-caster + step-jack stand before I bought it used.

Turned out to have had two of the pads hanging half in space, half on the cross-rail the whole time.

BFD

Per old calibrations on it, it had also held close to its Grade "A" accuracy 'til the biz it had been serving closed down.

Now .. if you have a "AA" and THINK you will have a "AAA"..... keep worrying... and get your temperature-controlled clean room finished first.

:)

Bill

The plate could sit on top of any bench that would take the weight if you dont need to work with a level, just place three spacers between the bench and plate at positions suggested. The spacers could be pretty much anything you have to hand, three 2" discs cut from a scrap of MDF would do.
The main take away is the plate should be mounted on three points. Likely at the Airy points, but you dont know that cos their not marked on the plate.

I have a stand for a starrett surface plate that is gone now. I would sell the stand for 100.00 plus shipping.

Nice well built stand for a 36x24x6" plate.

Text 734 834 1981

The plate could sit on top of any bench that would take the weight if you dont need to work with a level, just place three spacers between the bench and plate at positions suggested. The spacers could be pretty much anything you have to hand, three 2" discs cut from a scrap of MDF would do.
The main take away is the plate should be mounted on three points. Likely at the Airy points, but you dont know that cos their not marked on the plate.

Thanks Demon. We did order a stand and will modify it if need be.

I have a stand for a starrett surface plate that is gone now. I would sell the stand for 100.00 plus shipping.

Nice well built stand for a 36x24x6" plate.

Text 734 834 1981

Thank you Nate, but we have already ordered a stand.

Back