What's new
What's new

OMM Difficulties

S3D_Adam

Plastic
I've been using the multisensor CMM at my current company for about two years now. I only went through about 4 hours of intro training, and I've taught myself the rest. But I'm beginning to question how much I really know; specifically regarding the OMM.

For instance, I typically have to sit and watch my routine run to make sure that the correct edges get measured. Unfortunately, our machine operates so quickly, that sometimes the measured points don't even get displayed before moving to the next step. This is very frustrating because I then have to go in and edit that step just to see the measured points.

Does this sound common to anyone? Are you guys able to write routines and just walk away, trusting that the correct edges will be chosen?

I do realize that it could just be the difficulty of our parts. We never get to measure easy stuff like laser-cut sheetmetal. Tiny (<10mm), black, plastic injection-molded parts and circuit boards are more common. Often, I have to play with the ring light, magnification, and local alignments just to try to pick the right edge, but even then it's usually not repeatable for all the samples I measure.

Back