What's new
What's new

OXFORD micrometer quality

Does descended from limey's count? I know of half a dozen English brands, but "Oxford" is not among them. I'd guess it's a Chinese micrometer (it does sound a tiny bit more authentic than Cambridge Micrometer) priced a bit higher than others from the same factory?

Got a picture? Chinese mics have gotten better over the past 20 years, but (despite appearances) they're not in the same league as the Mitutoyo many are made to look like.

Moore & Wright, on the other hand, was of the same quality and about the same catalog range as Starrett.

For you limey's what is the quality of Oxford micrometers, compared to Starrett, B&S. Are they a house brand like Fowler and SPI.

Tom

When something costs a good bit less that something similar then there usualy is a reason. Even a top brand name doesn't mean it isn't "Made In China". In doubt? Go by reputation and experience.

I'd be very surprised if most of what the companies you mention sell don't import the majority of their products from China.

Cromwell Tools - Experts in Hand Tools, Power Tools and PPE

PREOWNED 11-Piece Set Micrometer Metric Gauge Tool

Decent Micrometer/Vernier ? | Visordown

The last link is old and may not reflect current offerings.

The why of all this is that occasional I get metric work and its a nuisance to be converting back and forth from metric to english. Electronic mikes would take care of the problem but I prefer mechanical mikes to electronic ones. Easier to use, less bulky, less likely to be out of calibration, as in mistakenly pressing a button. For my use a brand new set of Starrett's would be expensive.

Tom

Back