What's new
What's new

Q regarding Sunnen Gage Setting Fixture

I have a couple of questions regarding the Sunnen PG 400 gage setting fixture.

1) What is the difference between the PG 400 E and the PG 400 S?

2) Can this Sunnen gaging fixture be used to set other brands of 2 point dial bore gages
such as Mitutoyo and Standard Gage Company?

Thanks!

Chuck
Burbank, CA

2) Can this Sunnen gaging fixture be used to set other brands of 2 point dial bore gages
such as Mitutoyo and Standard Gage Company?

I don't know about E vs S. I had a PG 400 of some sort, it only adjusted in .010" increments, apparently the range of the gage itself was adjusted to reach the actual size you wanted to measure. Otherwise it would work fine, there are 2 small flats in the fixture that you set the gage points between.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'm looking into a Standard Gage Company version of the setmaster which makes more sense since I have Standard dial bore gages.

The Sunnen version looks more complicated but seem to be a fine instrument.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Chuck

Don't know what secret gappmast has disclosed, but here is a link to the PG400-E setting fixture: http://www.sunnen.com/graphics/assets/documents/01db4f8febee.pdf

I have not heard of the S version, and the search on Sunnen's site doesn't bring up anything, but to answer your question, the PG400-E ( or the 500-E ) would be difficult to use for setting
up anything other than the Sunnen PG gages.
They have the built-in rollers, leveling adjustment etc for hooking on the faceplate for the PG, and the contact faces are relatively small when compared to even a Micrometer tip.
They are heavy and would be difficult to use on a standard 2 point gage.
For the PG gages however, they are indispensable and I would not recommend using anything else but.
Also, the 400-E gages are in fact .001 increment, The dial on the left has .200 fixed step increments, while the dial on the right has the .001 fixed step increments.
The 400-E goes to 1.500 size, the 500E goes from 1.500 to 2.900 settings.

Thanks for the additional information.

I've gone ahead a bought a Standard Gage Company Setmaster to go with
my Standard Gage Dial Bore Gages.

Imagine that! I'm actually not mixing brands for a change.

Everyone's input is appreciated.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Back