What's new
What's new

Question about an Mitutoyo CMM

IronReb

Stainless
We acquired an Mitutoyo CMM, age unknown but last calibration date was 2000.

When I pulled this thing from storage it was all on a pallet in pieces.
The CPU and components were stored in a crate.
Who ever stored did a pretty good job of securing everything. The CMM was well braced and all plug ins were wrapped and taped up.

The computer is an ancient IBM running DOS but boots up with the software for the CMM.

I know absolutely dick about an CMM, NOTHING.

I am slow at work and to keep busy I pulled this thing out with the purpose of at least making it move around some.

We have no use for one and figured if it all worked we could put it on Ebay for cash to buy something we will use.

It has the probe and a calibration ball.
The base is like 4' x 6' granite about a foot thick.

Question is...
Not knowing shit about this thing, once I get it fired up, is there a real good chance I could plunge the probe into the base ruining it forever?
Will I have the option to slow down the rapids to a crawl so I have time to react and pull the plug if it looks like an Ohh shit moment is coming?

Should I just get it all assembled, take pictures and put it back in crate and sell as is?

What would a CMM like this be worth knowing the CPU and software is obsolete but still functions?

Thanks
David

On ebay these things are going for several grand.

If I can make this thing move to prove it is in half ass working condition I think I could convince boss to let it go for half the going price on Ebay for an CMM.

We are a pump shop, have no use for a CMM and could use the money on tooling for shit we do need like decent impact wrenches, tooling for our lathes, mill etc.

I googled and think it's probably a BH 710, which makes it a manual machine. So it won't move on it's own, you have to move it by hand.
If you can apply air to it and it moves freely, it's a good candidate for installing a new PC system, no one wants the old software today, and it's worth a couple grand. Be careful not to break any air hoses, they are probably brittle. rehosing a cmm is a project and part of the bill for an upgrade.
Mitutoyo-BH710B.jpg

I googled and think it's probably a BH 710, which makes it a manual machine. So it won't move on it's own, you have to move it by hand.
If you can apply air to it and it moves freely, it's a good candidate for installing a new PC system, no one wants the old software today, and it's worth a couple grand. Be careful not to break any air hoses, they are probably brittle. rehosing a cmm is a project and part of the bill for an upgrade.
View attachment 183149

That is the one you pictured.
If it doesn't move on its own, how does it take measurements..you toggle it around the part some how and it records those points?

That is the one you pictured.
If it doesn't move on its own, how does it take measurements..you toggle it around the part some how and it records those points?

Pretty much. You maneuver the probe around the part and touch the points you want measured.

I cant prove it but I think someone has installed new air lines to it sometime in the recent past.
They look just like the air lines used on fish tanks, they are real flexible and clear, no yellowing.

Back