What's new
What's new

Rapid Learning Required.

UKJay

Plastic
Hiya Guys,
I'd like to introduce myself to the community. My name is Jay from the U.K. and I've been lurking around different forums and like the vibe on this site. Anyway, just a very short background synopsis about me professionally. I served my time as a machine tool fitter building bespoke machinery for the automotive industry. I then worked in numerous fields from power generation, mainly steam and gas turbines to Robotics and various related industries such as marine engineering. From 2001 onwards I've been a maintenance engineer. I started off in a factory making 44 gallon steel drums, stayed there for seven years then worked for Heineken for five years. In 2014 my Mrs and myself spent a year in our little place we have in Spain and since 2016 I've eased my way back to work mainly working self employed as a maintenance engineer for different industries but predominantly FMCG. I'm now working in a food factory as an engineer on my own working nights. The engineering team are a great bunch of guys but very very inexperienced. Only 3 of 12 are time served. I constantly come on shift to multiple breakdowns an we have no machinists, in fact only two can use the lathe. In short I'm not a machinist but know my way around a machine shop. I'm probably as competent as a fourth year machine apprentice. Could anybody suggest any drills ,procedures , methods , books or YouTube channels that would help me become competent in a machine shop as soon as possible. I don't mind spending money if I have to Guys.
Thanks in advance,
Jsy.

Only experience can make you better. Books and videos only get you so far. It's Hands-On experience that will help you become a more polished Machinist

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hire a machinist. Watch and learn.

That's a good theoretical suggestion but might class with with a suggestion a part be machined from unobtanium. If he's a contract employee he has no power to hire for the organization. If the suggestion is that he hire a machinist himself, have him work in his garage shop and learn from him, that's rather a stretch too.

Recommending to "watch and learn" probably would have been sufficient.

I don't know what may be available in the UK, but here in the US there are often local trade schools with equipment and instructors where one might spend a semester or two practicing and upgrading skills.

That's a good theoretical suggestion but might class with with a suggestion a part be machined from unobtanium. If he's a contract employee he has no power to hire for the organization. If the suggestion is that he hire a machinist himself, have him work in his garage shop and learn from him, that's rather a stretch too.

Recommending to "watch and learn" probably would have been sufficient.

I don't know what may be available in the UK, but here in the US there are often local trade schools with equipment and instructors where one might spend a semester or two practicing and upgrading skills.

When I wrote "Hire a machinist" I meant that the company should do so.

Either the company thinks/knows they have a problem or they don't.

Assuming the OP isn't a hoax then there is no "quick" solution and that seems to be what the OP is looking for.

Reminds me of : "Miracles we do right away, the impossible takes a little longer".

Sincere thanks to everyone who replied and I'm really sorry my message appeared under metrology, I thought I was posting under the General Forum. I guess it's just going to be a case of immersing myself in all things Machining which I'm looking forward to .
Jay .

Hire me, I'll come live and make chips in Spain:D Youtube channels like Oxcotool, thisoldtony, JoePiezinski, subruban tool and the like. Once you click a few your home page will fill up with recomendations.

Last edited:

Back