What's new
What's new

Recomendations for a "starter" dial test indicator

Caldude53

Plastic
I am a retired machinist who left the industry about 10 years ago. Now I am establishing a garage shop. I still have many of the tools I used before, but I sold off all my dial test indicators. I want to buy a Mitutoyo but they have so many models, I don't know which one to get. Any recommendations for a general purpose Mitutoyo dial test indicator model would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

Also, I've seen many Mitutoyo DTIs offered on eBay, but that are of Chinese origin. I suspect they could be counterfeits. Any knowledge, experience or comments on this subject?

Thanks!
Sam

Don't buy Japanese stuff from Chiniese vendors, they're still pissed about the Rape of Nanking, and some other history - no way they'd be selling jap stuff.

As for indicators all I can say is this, a zero is a zero no matter how cheap the tool so long as it's smooth. If you need something tighter than that in your garage you'd have to be on another level of hobby craft beyond your everyday chipmaker.

Any of the older made in Japan Mitutoyo will be a good tool. I just bought a 20mm travel big dial Mitutoyo on Ebay - in a very good shape for about $30.00.
"Tessa" is (or was...) another good (Swiss) make. "Mahr" makes excellent metrology tools and you can find their dial indicators used for reasonable price. "Federal" was making good indicators and those were a standard in many shops.
I would not recommend a digital dial indicator. Not only you dependant on batteries (some rather expensive, like the one in "Maxμm"), but it is much more informative to see the change indicated by a pointer rather than jumping number or lines. This is especially true when checking roundness or setting up parts in a lathe or mill.

I suppose it depends on what your going to indicate. I'd imagine you would be looking to center stuff in the lathe with a 4 jaw chuck and mabe center work on a mill table. I use different indicators for each process. But you could get one that is a kit with some holders that you can use in the tool post of the lathe and use it on a bar in the quill of the mill to center holes. The more universal the tool the longer the set up time to use it. I've got a magnetic base that I use primarily with a large dial indicator in the lathe. And a smaller gauge indicator with a brackett I use that clamps on the quill of the BP. Large dials are nice with older eyes and are more likely to get in the way......some rambling thoughts............Tim

A lot does depend on your vision of the purpose for the indicator. I use a .0005 graduation Starrett DTI for general purpose Indicol work on the mill; I've had that one for about 15 yrs. Works "OK" for intended purpose. If I need to ace in something dead-nuts, I use a Compac .0001 indicator (purchased used at an estate sale about 10 yrs. back), which usually stays on the inspection plate. It's very nice, and long-travel as well. I also have a BesTest .0001 indicator, it works very nicely, but it's a small dial, and a little harder to read. There are a lot of inexpensive Chinese indicators, of varying quality, and Mitutoyo does use Chinese facilities for some of its manufacturing. Whether info is available on where a given Mit indicator is built is an open question. Generally, a high-quality used indicator like Interapid, Compac, or Mitutoyo is a better eBay risk than "something" that is just shiny, no-name, and new, in my experience.

I have used the classic 0-15-0 1/2 thou Mit 513-402 recommend them. LII rates them highly. This should be your first purchase. They are about $100.

I bought a bunch of used Swiss models on ebay (labeled Giordtast) based on LII recommendations. They are fine, but honestly, nothing special. I'll never wear one out. More likely to drop it.

Mitutoyo has a new(?) slant face similar to everyone's favorite Interapid. Check out the LII page above, scroll down to "test indicator" and pick Mitutoyo. They cost almost as much as an Interapid tho.

Just a couple suggestions from me:
1) Don't get Chinese indicators. Their dovetails are non standard and wont fit popular accessories like Noga arms. Mitutoyo and Starrett and the Swiss models all have the same narrow DT. The Chinese DTs are wider.

2) Its good to have small faced indicators so you can reach tight places. But I can't read mine anymore. Look for the larger faces.

3) Guys here don't like em, but I have some Fowler digital DTIs (long and short probe) that are nice in that they can be zeroed very easily. This can be helpful for fiddly work. So consider digitals BUT have at least one normal one. I find it easier to use a dial on a lathe for example where the absolute value isn't so important, only the variation from nominal.

513-402 is the right place to start.

one more suggestion- indicators are only as good as what is holding them. Before I spent big money on a DTI, I'd budget for good quality holders if you don't already have them.

Last edited:
Chinese Mitutoyos, Brown & Sharp

Don't buy Japanese stuff from Chiniese vendors, they're still pissed about the Rape of Nanking, and some other history - no way they'd be selling jap stuff.

As for indicators all I can say is this, a zero is a zero no matter how cheap the tool so long as it's smooth. If you need something tighter than that in your garage you'd have to be on another level of hobby craft beyond your everyday chipmaker.

I didn't know that Mitutoyo was sourcing some of their production in China. Sad, but necessary to remain competitive I suppose. I've noticed that Starrett, of all tool companies, is sourcing from China -- for shame! :nono:

I think highly of B&S tools and I have some of them. It's just that I had 3 MIT DTIs before. I'm just as likely to get a B&S if the price is right.

Thanks for the input! ;)

I agree that analog dials are the way to go for any operation where the measurement is oscillating. For static measurements, I use a digital caliper or mic. Easier to read for tired eyes!

Thanks for the input.

I have used the classic 0-15-0 1/2 thou Mit 513-402 recommend them. LII rates them highly. This should be your first purchase. They are about $100.

I bought a bunch of used Swiss models on ebay (labeled Giordtast) based on LII recommendations. They are fine, but honestly, nothing special. I'll never wear one out. More likely to drop it.

Mitutoyo has a new(?) slant face similar to everyone's favorite Interapid. Check out the LII page above, scroll down to "test indicator" and pick Mitutoyo. They cost almost as much as an Interapid tho.

Just a couple suggestions from me:
1) Don't get Chinese indicators. Their dovetails are non standard and wont fit popular accessories like Noga arms. Mitutoyo and Starrett and the Swiss models all have the same narrow DT. The Chinese DTs are wider.

2) Its good to have small faced indicators so you can reach tight places. But I can't read mine anymore. Look for the larger faces.

3) Guys here don't like em, but I have some Fowler digital DTIs (long and short probe) that are nice in that they can be zeroed very easily. This can be helpful for fiddly work. So consider digitals BUT have at least one normal one. I find it easier to use a dial on a lathe for example where the absolute value isn't so important, only the variation from nominal.

513-402 is the right place to start.

one more suggestion- indicators are only as good as what is holding them. Before I spent big money on a DTI, I'd budget for good quality holders if you don't already have them.

I was leaning toward a Mit. 513-402. Now I think get one.

Many thanks to all for the comments!

:smitten:

Sam

Back