What's new
What's new

Which is the right travel indicator for me?

MasonP

Plastic
Hello, this is my first post in Practical Machinist. Happy to be here! I am about 1 year into the field with a Associates in Applied Science of Computerized Machining and Manufacturing. I have so very much to learn, and that is why I joined this forum!

Onto the real stuff: I am looking into getting 2 dial travel indicators and a Mighty Mag. They will be used mostly whenever I am using the manual lathe. I already have a mag base so that isn't an issue, but i'll be putting the indicators on the X and Z axis.

I am just looking for something that is cheap(ish) that isn't too lacking in the accuracy department. I do understand that we get what we pay for, but I wasn't sure if there was some room for cost cuts. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any replies!

I find that using a longer-travel indicator (in the absence of a DRO) on the bed axis is very useful. The one I use is a Starrett, with 3" travel. Picked it up on eBay a few years ago for $50. It has paid for itself 200x over....

Don't know one from the other but I always bought Starrett. Remember if you use one on the cross slide the diameter will decrease twice what the dial reads.
Dan

I will make sure to remember that! Thank you!

And alrighty, I am a Mitutoyo guy myself, but I guess i'll go ahead and get a good indicator and not a cheaper one. Starrett or Mitutoyo it is!

I always preferred Mitutoyo AGD style indicators... However, years ago, I got a deal on a bunch of Teclock (imported) indicators. I was impressed by the quality of them. Of course, for close work, you will need a Dial Test Indicator.. Brown & Sharpe is my choice for those..

Hello, this is my first post in Practical Machinist. Happy to be here! I am about 1 year into the field with a Associates in Applied Science of Computerized Machining and Manufacturing. I have so very much to learn, and that is why I joined this forum!

Onto the real stuff: I am looking into getting 2 dial travel indicators and a Mighty Mag. They will be used mostly whenever I am using the manual lathe. I already have a mag base so that isn't an issue, but i'll be putting the indicators on the X and Z axis.

I am just looking for something that is cheap(ish) that isn't too lacking in the accuracy department. I do understand that we get what we pay for, but I wasn't sure if there was some room for cost cuts. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any replies!

The problem with asking a question like you have on PM is that you "risk" getting as many suggestions based on what each person knows and uses. All suggestions might be (and often are) excellent but are they exactly what you want or need?

If you have the possibility I suggest you attend an exhibition where machines and instruments are on show. Personally I'm always pleasantly surprised at the variety of what is available and how much everything keeps getting improved especially within electronics.

The fact that many shops and companies in the USA seem to expect machinists to have their own tools IMO puts a brake on how new and expensive what gets bought and used is.

For example, when I buy something I'm going to use at home the price I'm willing to pay depends very much on whether it is something I'll use twice a year or several times a week.
My wife is buying a new dish washer next week. She knows more about that kind of thing than I ever will :) The one we have (AEG) wasn't cheap but has served us faithfully and without problems for over 20 years. A new brand, at least I've never heard of it, has come on the market and has been highly praised so that'll be the one.

Dishwashers - Asko Appliances USA

:D didn't even know it was American until I just Googled!

Back