What's new
What's new

SPI/Fowler/Starrett/Mitutoyo Digital calipers

AlexBanich

Stainless
I've been looking to get a set of digital calipers. The one thing is that I see a pair of 6" Mitutoyo digitals are in the MSC mag for $90, Mitutoyo coolant proof for $180, a Fowler Euro Cal IV IP54 for $90, a regular SPI for $60, a Starrett IP65 for $170, and then the SPI 50th anniversary edition for $40 or buy two for $50.

Now the particulars..... I'm not particularly interested in buying something that is coolant resistant/proof (though it wouldn't hurt since I spilled a cup of dieelectric fluid on my starrett dials once). I'm mainly looking for something that is going to repeat decently and be reliable.

I use my dials every day and never around anything that would suggest high or even moderate chance of getting soaked or even misted with coolant or oil. I'm honestly looking at the SPI 50th anniversary edition and getting the two for $50 deal, but after reading all the bad reviews from other members about SPI quality lately I'm a little put off.

I understand the mitutoyo digitals are supposedly the cat's meow. I have no clue about starrett's version. All that said I would like to see what the "vote" is for what is the best quality to cost.

Most importantly before I get a million responses of mitutoyo because they are the best quality I want to stress that I understand you get what you pay for but if I'm saving $50 due to poor feel or poor finish I'm ok with that....as long as it can repeat within a plus or minus .001 and last at least a couple years.

So with that all said who is going to stand up and say to get a pair of Cen-Techs? :D

After some thought does anybody know where you can find some left handed digital and dial calipers besides cheap china import (grizzly and chicago brand)?

I would put the money out for the Mitutoyo. There going to last and be the best pair you've bought. We have service guys that travel for the company and they only want the Mitutoyo because they are the most dependable for what they do.

Mark

Ditto the Mitutoyo recommendation. I have both the regular and coolant proof versions -- actually like the feel of the regular one a bit better. If you're going to buy a cheap pair of Chinese calipers there's not much reason, IMO, to pay another $30 to $50 to have a brand name like SPI or Fowler on it.

Most of the cheap digital calipers these days are this kind:

http://www.centraltools.com/all_images/products/3C301cat.jpg

This is the company that I believe is directly producing those instruments:
http://www.centraltools.com/about_us.html

The first time I saw one of those, it was from Autozone. It had all the Central Tool Inc. markings on it, made in China.

I looked up Central Tools and read about their history, and it makes me curious if they're the company that designed the calipers.

Anyway, that's a common instrument with resale labels on it. Don't pay more than $15 for one. They're not very reliable, the digital display updates like twice a second and it's really difficult to set it to anything. The battery compartment never works and you have to fiddle around with paper shims to get it to turn on.

I've got a 6" and 12" in my box just for instances where I might want to grind a caliper to get clearance or what have you. The 12" came packed with grind dust. Really genuinely packed with grind dust. Like a practical joke. It cleaned up, and it's actually handy.

But yeah, buy those on eBay. Spend real money on Mitutoyo.

http://www.longislandindicator.com/p11.html

I forgot all about reading long islands review page. I saw that they gave Tesa a pretty good endorsement. Anybody ever use a set of Tesa digitals?

I wouldn't spend the extra money on "coolant proof" calipers as I have repaired several dozen regular mitutoyos just by disassembly and cleaning after taking a bath in a coolant tank. Buy the regular mits. Don't waste time with anything else. -Mike

Another thing about the cheaper calipers; they tend to flatten the battery quickly.

I have a set of Mitutoyo digital calipers; I use them all day long sometimes forgetting to switch them off overnight, the original battery is still in there about 5 years on. They are my first choice measuring instrument and from time to time I cross check them against a good micrometer and they are always spot on.

My son has a set of cheapos and every time I pick them up they need another new battery; what will that cost over a couple of years?

Regards,

Mike.

I bought the Mitutoyo digital calipers a couple of months ago. They are very accurate but naturally you have to keep them very clean on the faces or or it will measure the .ooo5 error at zero. My only regret is that I didn't get the coolant proof ones. I have to remember to turn them off when I'm done and I believe the coolant proof calipers have an auto-shutoff feature.

Mike

I guess I'll stick my nose in and recommend Etalon/Tesa/Brown & Sharpe digital calipers.
The B&S come complete with certs and so have proven accuracy and reliability. They also have a smoothness in the action that just screams quality. That smoothness lasts longer than the Energizer Bunny.
The problem is Hexagon doesn't offer quite the margin to dealers that MTI does so MTI is usually jammed down your throat.
The Swiss are VERY particular about quality and also very proud of the Swiss-Made label (that brings back memories of us a decade or two ago)
Tesa invented the first digital caliper and has never rested since. They brought out IP-65 before the copy-cats and have since jumped it up to IP-67
Even their dial calipers are smoother and longer lasting than anyone elses in the world. They just don't have that 'Kleenex, Coke' knee-jerk effect that MTI has gained.
HIGHLY recommended if these are tools you plan to hand down to the next generation with pride.

i have 2 mitutoyo digital calipers
one is 8" ip66 and one is a 4" model

they are super smooth. the coolant proof one is the one that i use the most.
i can reach into the machine to measure without worrying about it getting wet.
i was able to get one for 140$, but i think they retail at about 180$? (my employer is a mitutoyo dealer)

my 4 inch digital is also awesome. it is 14 years old, but it is brand new. (a coworker bought it years ago and never used it. it was still in the original plastic wrapping, and the protective oil had dried up on it)

of course, i do have a hf digital, but i never use it anymore. i am waiting for the time i need to modify it to measure something, although i wouldnt trust it to .005

I personally dont like digital calipers much,but if I had too choose a pair id get either the mits or B&S.Ive handled both and they have a really good feel. I just like my old school dial calipers better.

I have 3 sets of 6" dials in varying conditions an old Huot(?) in rough shape but still accurate, A Mitutoyo in great shape that sits next to the computer in the house and a B&S that is saved for measuring (coarse) finished work in the shop. I have 2 sets of digitals (Mitutoyo) 6" and 8" that I only use when I need to switch to metric and a 12" Mitutoyo dial model for larger stuff.

Typically the dials rule the roost. The digitals are only used occasionally, and when I need to measure below .001" I switch to micrometers, usually vernier scale but occasionally digital if metric is required. After that it's the hite master on the surface plate for high tolerances.

But of course this is just my home hobby shop! :cheers: - Mike

See what happened to me was I have a pair of 6" peacock dials that were the older style. The darn needle popped off and I put it back on and now the thing won't repeat worth a crap. This is sadly two days after I endorsed them as a good cheap ebay purchase...... go figure. The thing is that my company has a repair/replacement program where they'll replace or repair anything that craps out on the job. I'm waiting to see how that turns out. I saw MSC had them listed on their website for $160. For that price for a set of dials that would buy a nice mitutoyo digital. Since I'm always measuring and then converting to metric they would be nice to have something to save the conversion time. I still have a backup pair of Starretts but really don't want to see those be my every day beater pair.

Pull the needle back off and put half a drop of nail polish on the stud and push the needle back on. Of course do this only after you get the new set from the company. :Yawn: -Mike

I have about 10 sets of Mitutoyo calipers around here. I have them clamped on all axis of my old south bend... makes a cheap dro. have a set on each bridgeport in case I need to move the head in or out, as sometimes I need to do a part larger than the Y axis travel. I have one on the compound on the LeBlond, it makes the taper att. realy easy to use. I also have one on the tailstock...lots more acurate and easier to use than the scale. I also use them to measure parts too! I have 2 pairs of starret calipers also... they suck.... they update the readout way to slow and eat batterys like crazy. batterys last forever in mitutoyos..........

Against digitals in principle, but have a 6" Mitutoyu. Get the B&S, like I should have. Everything else I have is, but I cheaped out on the Japanese ones. I have the standard model, and I have problems keeping it at zero unless I wipe the jaws after every use, not getting them really dirty either. Used a buddy's Brown and Sharpe's, measuring the same work, no problems.

ok to update the situtation finally got a reply to find a suitable replacement and send the puchase information and the old pair of calilpers in to recieve the new set...... so apparently no keeping the old pair and having to explain the nail polish in my tool box :D

Any how now I have a new problem...... I don't want to give off the impresion of pulling a limited660 move buttttt I for the life of me I'm overwhelmed by the selection of mitutoyo digitals and brown and sharpe digitals. The prices I see on sale are like $90 or $110 and on MSC and Enco website they are like $170 $140 all over the place.

So to sum it up I'm looking for an exact model preferance of the mitutoyo and brown and sharpe digital and a good place I can find them for under $160 if possible. I hate like hell to ask for this kind of help but I don't want to end up buying the wrong kind and then forever kicking myself in the rear for trying to move outside the dial box.......

A better idea might be which type of mitutoyo and brown and sharpe digitals do you recommend NOT to get?

Either way thanks for all the help in convincing me to make the move to digitals and to spend the $$$ for a Mitutoyo or B&S.

Back