What's new
What's new

Small Standard Bore Holes Measurements???

Adilos

Plastic
Hello, well to begin off im a rookie at this so any help will be appreciated.

I am trying to measure VERY accurately some small bore holes which i have in different types of metals. The diameter of these standard bore holes is about 6-7mm and about 3mm deep. I need to have very accurate metal inserts made to fit these holes, and a perfect fit is vital. If anyone can help me figure out what sor of tolerances can be used fo metal fittings? :scratchchin:

My question is what is the cheapest most accurate way to measure the width(diameter) and the depth of the bore holes? Also having a tolerance of +/- 0.001mm.

Again any advice would be much appreciated with regards to specific product names or models too.

Thanks,
Adi. :hole:

Thanks Leigh, would that mean a depth gage? What type of gage/gauge/micrometer would i need to measure the diameter of the hole with that type of accuracy?

What type of gage/gauge/micrometer would i need to measure the diameter of the hole with that type of accuracy?
Sorry. My comments were about the hole diameter rather than the depth.
Are the tolerances the same for both? That's awfully tight.

Is this a blind hole? How will the air escape when you seat the mating part?

On the face of it, it seems unreasonably tight. What's the material? What's the range of temperature in which it will be used?

- Leigh

That Diamet link has no information whatsoever. It almost looks like a troll, but I'm not sure so I left it alone.

I expect Google would find some info.

- Leigh

Oh come on guys, it's a LVDT.
Full scale (ie: off the end of the gauge) is going to be two microns on the high setting.

I would think anyone involved in measuring would have at least one LVDT and amplifier laying around.
How else are you going to show a rookie how much a gage block grows if you hold it in your hand for 10 minutes?
This is one of the first demos I do for a new guy, watch the needle swing as it cools back to room temp.

If your calib. lab can't get you below a tenth of a micron you need better sources.
Tight, yes but certainly doable.

Bob

Hi, and welcome.

That's roughly ±40 microinches.

To have any reasonable ratio of instrument accuracy to nominal tolerance puts you in gage block territory.

- Leigh

You could probably get there, or very close with an air gage. ±.00004" is tight but we've pulled it off, it's almost a tenth. Speaking of splitting tenths (high-jackers are us) anyone using one of these?

Mitutoyo America Corporation

Robert

Back