What's new
What's new

Digital readout recommendations

I have a machine on which I would like to install a digital readout. 2 axes only are required, an x axis of about 48 inches, and a y or z axis of about 12 inches. I would like the numbers on the readout to large enough to be easily read from a distance of 4 feet. I would like some recommendations on brands and models to consider. Of course, price would be a consideration.

Lord Byron

Thanks to Ray Behner for your suggestion. Pretty spendy if you want magnetic scales. Also spendy if you want glass scales. Upon more research, I found the solution to my problem. I can get magnetic scales from Digimag digital remote readouts for $29 for a 6 inch scale for my Z axis and $49 for a 36 inch scale for my X axis. They have included remote readouts that can be located anywhere on the machine.

The machine that I am going to use them on is the ShopNotes magazine spiral router milling machine that I built from their plans. After completing my first project of a set of four table legs on this machine, I found out that digital readouts are a necessity for efficient operation of this machine.

Lord Byron

Thanks to Ray Behner for your suggestion. Pretty spendy if you want magnetic scales. Also spendy if you want glass scales. Upon more research, I found the solution to my problem. I can get magnetic scales from Digimag digital remote readouts for $29 for a 6 inch scale for my Z axis and $49 for a 36 inch scale for my X axis. They have included remote readouts that can be located anywhere on the machine.

The machine that I am going to use them on is the ShopNotes magazine spiral router milling machine that I built from their plans. After completing my first project of a set of four table legs on this machine, I found out that digital readouts are a necessity for efficient operation of this machine.

Lord Byron

Lord,

You can buy a cheap tool first, and a real tool second. Or you can buy a real tool first and save the $$ of the cheap tool mistake.

Lord,

You can buy a cheap tool first, and a real tool second. Or you can buy a real tool first and save the $$ of the cheap tool mistake.

I tend to agree with this but for the amount of money you're going to spend you don't have a lot to lose but some time. Do let us know how they work out...

We just got an Easson in our shop yesterday. I suspect its Taiwanese but we bought it on ebay a 10"x60" for $900. Its going on a butch lathe so if its accurate to .0005 we are happy.

Back