What's new
What's new

Standard Gage Line of Tools, Any Good?

bb_shot

Plastic
I was perusing the internet for some micrometers and found this brand that I never heard of, Standard Gage. They are apart of Hexagon Metrology, the same company that owns B&S and TESA. Here is the link Calipers,Micrometers,Tools sets - STANDARD GAGE. The site says that they are made in Asia. Anyone have any experience with them. Amazon is selling them for cheap enough to at least tryout.

Aerodark beat me to it. Long Island Indicator's site is worth the time. The old Standard Gage made good dialbores. For mics, Starrett, B&S, Mitutoyo. There are others, but I know those. As late as the nineties quality was still there, so old-excellent condition may be preferable to new. It's been a while since I've handled any of these outfits' products, so others may have more current info.

Rich

The dial movements remind me of Federal Indicator.
Standard Bore Gages POUGHKEEPSIE, N. Y.
Phone 2900
Good solid tool. Not like Mahr or Marposs.
The #3 and #5
The #3 is like new. The extension is insulated. Range 1 1/2 to 2 5/32 while using the correct extension set.
The #5 the long one is marked 6/9/45 Range 3 3/23 to 6 1/8 ------------------------------Ditto
The long gage will also take an extension handle in the head.

StandardBoreGage004.jpg

StandardBoreGage005.jpg

StandardBoreGage009.jpg

The shop had a 'bore gage' and it was a 'Quality Import' knock-off of a Mitutoyo. Someone stole it. The 'foreman' cried about that for months.

Last edited:
Well those are fatter pictures than I expected.

This is what Long Island Indicator says about Standard Gage. Maybe it is just for the Bore Gage products.
http://longislandindicator.com/p71.html

"Standard Gage dial bore gages were manufactured in Poughkeepsie, New York until 2002. They made several different bore gage configurations at that time (perpendicular and vertical for example). Only the regular model (shown below) and the 90° right-angle model are still available (see page 114).

The newest models of Standard Gage dial bore gages are manufactured in Switzerland and Germany by Tesa who owns the rights to the brand name. Tesa is the manufacturer of high-end Etalon, Compac and Interapid gages. Surprisingly, the indicator movement is now supplied by Käfer in Germany. We are pleased to report that these are a substantial improvement over the old style.

As an alternative, you may wish to purchase the Standard-style bore gage made in USA. These have identical measuring heads but the dial indicator will carry the name Dorsey (see below). In all other respects, these bore gages are the same as the old Made-in-Poughkeepsie models."

John

Last edited:

Back