What's new
What's new

Starrett Universal Dial Test Indicator question

eqshop9689

Plastic
Hello All,

I am new to the forum here.

I have a Starrett Universal Dial Test Indicator. And i am confused as to why my bars dont fit... see pictures.

I think the bar is suppose to insert there? but the size is way off. Bars measure .310" and the hole is .245".

I inherited this tool.

Am i missing something?

Anyone have the original instruction sheet for one of these?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170831_101215.jpg
    20170831_101215.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 569
  • 20170831_100640.jpg
    20170831_100640.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 578
  • 20170831_100715.jpg
    20170831_100715.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 410
I would guess a previous owner rearranged things to suit himself. Or, when the kit was passed on the box got a handful of items that hadn't previously lived as a family.

You're not missing anything. Either modify the snug you've got there or make or purchase an alternate to assemble on there.

The .245" hole you show there is something of an oddity. It wouldn't take either a 1/4" or be a fit for the nearest metric size. Unless you want to save the original size in case something obvious shows up, the best shot might be to bring it out to 5/16" to fit the bars you have.

I don't want to insult your intelligence or experience but if you're re-drilling it, you'll probably want to put a shim in the slot when you clamp it for drilling. With the slot already present, drilling will be a little trickier than normal but perfectly doable. To avoid the potential chatter from the interface of the drill point and slot, you could use a 5/16" endmill to do the drilling. You lose any centering so location is on your own but it's not critical that it be exactly centered. Nor would it be critical for it to be straight and square. The clamp will still work.

hmmm yes that is very possible, if a guy had multiple kits, they may have mixed up the parts...

Thanks for the input, i will probably make that hole bigger to fit the shafts i have, if i dont come up with the correct shafts.

There is most likely very little literature on this thing out there since it is universal. I might be able to order the correct size shafts or snug, from starrett, if i could figure out the part numbers, if someone has a parts diagram? The other odd thing is Starrett usually have model numbers on all their tools, this has no model numbers

hmmm yes that is very possible, if a guy had multiple kits, they may have mixed up the parts...

Thanks for the input, i will probably make that hole bigger to fit the shafts i have, if i dont come up with the correct shafts.

There is most likely very little literature on this thing out there since it is universal. I might be able to order the correct size shafts or snug, from starrett, if i could figure out the part numbers, if someone has a parts diagram? The other odd thing is Starrett usually have model numbers on all their tools, this has no model numbers

The correct snug should be PT18718, see: PT18718 Snug Assembly With 5/16" Post Hole

And if you look at their description of the complete set here: 196A1Z Universal Back Plunger Dial Indicator
and scroll through the parts you'll find snug PT18718 listed
Mine has the model number 196 on the face, it sounds like yours doesn't. Those 5/16 inch diameter rods are the correct ones for this set. Yours looks complete (except for the proper snug) and in nice condition.
David

Last edited:
In the third photo above, see the knurled knob?

Undo that completely. Slip the assembly thus liberated, out of the steel block
with the two holes and two slots.

Try the rods in the other hole in that block that is now open.

Hello All,

I am new to the forum here.

I have a Starrett Universal Dial Test Indicator. And i am confused as to why my bars dont fit... see pictures.

I think the bar is suppose to insert there? but the size is way off. Bars measure .310" and the hole is .245".

I inherited this tool.

Am i missing something?

Anyone have the original instruction sheet for one of these?

Thanks

missing 5/16 to 1/4" swivel clamp
McMaster-Carr

I'll bet that C clamp with the V groove will fit either one of those posts supplied and either post will fit the threaded holes. Together with the clamp and bar you ought to be able to make a double right angle that's fully adjustable; It's all a matter of using your imagination.
Dan

Back