What's new
What's new

Starrett vs Mitutoyo digital calipers

Jim_Lou

Cast Iron
My Starrett 721A caliper died. Starrett doesn't support it any more but is offering to replace it with a current model 799A-6/150 for $103. MSC's price is $147. (They also offer $60 off a 798B but I don't need SPC output) My quandary is that I've never liked the 721 because it doesn't display a reading until after the jaw movement has stopped. Also it's battery life is pretty poor so I have to remove the battery when I finish with it.

On the other hand I have several Mitutoyo digitals, two several years older that have lived a much harder life, and like them all. They have all of the features and none of the flaws of the 721. Does anyone know if the current Starretts still have the problems I mentioned? The comparable Mitutoyo Digimatic is $147 at MSC but I'm leaning toward getting it and using the old Starrett as a watch fob.

Mitutoyo digitals OWN the market for a reason. I cannot offer any input on Starrett's digital offering. All I ever heard from people that had them was "never again". :cryin:

All of my digitals are Mitutoyo, for whatever that might be worth. My only disappointment is that they lack a Hold button.

I can't address Starrett digitals since I've never owned one. I suppose they would make good watch fobs. :D

- Leigh

check amazon as well as msc - often the cheapest, especially if you use prime

oh, and i had a starret digital caliber which was destroyed in an accident - mitu ever since, no thought of going back.

(surface gages, analog bore mics, etc starret seems very good to me and still often pick them)

i have a starrett 799, its a good little caliper. i did have to get it replaced once, i left it in the car on a hot day and the buttons froze up. i have had no other problems other than it is made in china and is basically a throwaway. battery life is good as it has auto shut off and auto on. also the numbers move with the jaw in real time. the 798 is more expensive but is harsh environment and, last i checked, made in the usa. the encoder on the 799 is very sensitive to moisture, if you get any on the track you need to remove it or the numbers will be way off. a quick blast with compressed air will do the deed.

i have nothing against mit, i have 4 of their harsh environment digi-mics and absolutely love them, but i will take starrett over mit if the product warrants it.

I have bought a few Starrett's and have felt the Mitutoyo alternatives were a step up in quality for the same price. Mitutoyo's are generally better thought out and better executed in my opinion and the reason I buy them without hesitation.

Very interesting. Not a single voice for Starrett. Thanks, everyone!

I've got a 6" Starrett 799 that's virtually brand new, but it's been dead-nuts accurate for everything checked thus far. The guys in the shop here are split relatively evenly between Starrett and Mitutoyo; our ISO standards dictate that employees only use certain types of gauging.

I'm not particularly fond of the latch on the carrying case, and I wish the display's housing was metal instead of plastic. However, I shouldn't be thumping on the thing hard enough to damage plastic in the first place, right?

Good tip. $116 instead of $147, but what's prime?
on
Prime is like a "plus" membership Amazon offers. It costs $70-$80 a year, but if you're buying stuff consistently on Amazon the free next day and 2nd day shipping pretty much pay for it right there, along with access to streaming movies and no minimum order amount. Anyone with a student e-mail address (@.edu) can sign up for free.

Amazon.com: FREE Two-Day Shipping, Instant Videos, and Kindle Books with Amazon Prime

I've got a 6" Starrett 799 that's virtually brand new, but it's been dead-nuts accurate for everything checked thus far. The guys in the shop here are split relatively evenly between Starrett and Mitutoyo; our ISO standards dictate that employees only use certain types of gauging.

I'm not particularly fond of the latch on the carrying case, and I wish the display's housing was metal instead of plastic. However, I shouldn't be thumping on the thing hard enough to damage plastic in the first place, right?

that case latch is a never ending april fools joke

What latch? Oh yeah the one I break off in frustration trying to bend it into place, only a few of mine still have it.

Back