What's new
What's new

Steel For Plug and Ring Gage.

SIP6A

Titanium
What would a good choice of steel for a plug and ring gage. I was thinking A2 I have a lot of it and experience working with it. The Gages are in the three inch range.

I would use A2 for low usage gages. It is vary stable during heat treat, but it does change size during tempering. On the other hand, D2 when tempered at 600F, shows no change in dimension and is still at Rc 59. More durable gages would be carbide.

Tom

We make lots of gages out of A-2. If you want something more corrosion resistant, use D-2. More corrosion resistant than that, 440C stainless. More wear resistant M-2, or carbide. Whatever you are making them out of, plan on grinding or EDM after heat treating to get any kind of real accuracy. Hard turning is also an option depending on tolerances and your equipment.

A-2 is a good choice for hardness. The main issue is that it will distort over time due to internal stress. Cast iron will be more stable.

Cast iron is way too soft for gages. We have never had issues with A-2 distorting. It may shrink or grow during heat treat and tempering but not from aging. It would be easy to re temper in the 500 -600 degree range, but that is the only way I would be afraid of any distortion. We have made masters from A-2 (to simulate parts and set gages with) for years without problems. Making lots of gages 8620 wouldn't be a bad choice if you are concerned about $ per pound. For small quantities, i would rather use a tool steel i can vacuum heat treat, much less distortion than case hardening in my experience, so you can leave less grinding stock.

Hey Todd,

I am curious about how many gages you need to make. I have hundreds of ring gages and I am sure I could find some that you could grind to size. I'll never get around to listing these on ebay until I retire and have more time. The price will be cheaper than you could buy the steel, lol. These came from a well known gage company in Michigan that I used to work for. Let me know if you are interested and I'll check to see what I can come up with.

Daryl

Back