What's new
What's new

Surface finish callout.....need explanation

Given that the definition of Ra is the arithmetic average of absolute values, I can't see how it could ever be a negative number, since an "absolute value" is by definition always positive, thus the average of a bunch of them would also have to be positive...

--Hawk

Given that the definition of Ra is the arithmetic average of absolute values, I can't see how it could ever be a negative number, since an "absolute value" is by definition always positive, thus the average of a bunch of them would also have to be positive...
True.

You never know what engineers will come up with in the computer age. They probably don't know what a sign is.
I doubt any of them has ever used a ruler or other real measuring tool. There's an app for that. :eek:

- Leigh

I suspect that the dash (or hyphen) shown by the OP is really only an itemizing mark, not a negative sign. As noted, Ra can't be a negative value based on its absolute value derivation. I provided the initial Wiki link since it seemed to show some of the additional callout info structure in the best way that I could find in a few minutes. I wasn't able to look at the ASME standard as it appears that one needs to buy it for $169.00, which I think is also similar to ISO standard availability.

-0.8/Ra2 3.0 => 0.8mm cutoff/arithmetic average of roughness over 2 single measured lengths, 3.0 um max value, as I interpret what is given.

-0.8 Rz1max2 25 y'all can figure out.

Some additional info that may be more explanatory on specifics:
http://www.mitutoyo.com/pdf/1984_Surf_Roughness_PG.pdf

Back