What's new
What's new

Surfaceplate stand with casters, or without

SirRage

Aluminum
Hey there,

I've got a 3'x4' surface plate and currently modifying the stand for it. Should I add casters to the stand or just make sure I can move it around with the shop pallet jack? It's a small shop but I don't see myself moving the dumb thing around a lot. It does weight 1200 lbs or something like that.

Hey there,

I've got a 3'x4' surface plate and currently modifying the stand for it. Should I add casters to the stand or just make sure I can move it around with the shop pallet jack? It's a small shop but I don't see myself moving the dumb thing around a lot. It does weight 1200 lbs or something like that.

Add the casters now. You will find that if your surface plate is used regularly, it will tend wear in one area more than others. For example, if you are right-handed, you will have the parts you are measuring on the left side of the plate, while your height gage remains on the right side. If you check a lot of parts this way, your plate will wear ever-so-slightly on the left side. Most surface plate calibration services will recommend that you rotate your plate periodically to equalize wear, and having casters on your surface plate stand makes it MUCH easier. Of course, your mileage may vary.... :)

Back