What's new
What's new

Test indicator repair question

sam_stlouis

Cast Iron
I just bought a new starrett test indicator, have not even used it yet. Mounted it in my new boga mag base holder, when someone bumped it and it fell over, had the magnet on, it does not seem very strong, kinda wonder if the magnet is not working fully.
Anyway he caught it by the indicator and knocked the pointer out of position. Not sure of model I'm at my real job right now, but are these kind of repairs cost effective, any idea of cost on something like this. Or do I just buy another one. I'm a home shop guy and just made the switch to new quality measuring stuff, getting tired of used or import, oh well lesson learned. Any recommendations on who to send it to.

Don't know about your indicator in particular but most test indicator points are on a friction clutch so you can adjust them up/down. Have you tried moving it back with your fingers?

If it's bent sideways then you have a different problem.

No I did not try moving it, I was afraid I might further damage it, it's not bent or anything, just pointing about 30 degrees from original position, I'll get the model number tomorrow and maybe call starrett, to see about the friction you mentioned

If it's 30 degrees out in the normal direction of travel, you should be able to move it back into whatever position you want within the limit of the designed adjustability.

On an unrelated note - if I ever decide to design and sell a Noga knockoff, it is DEFINITELY going to be called "The BOGA", as in "booooooo-gus". :D

Back