What's new
What's new

Tools from Suburban Tool, Inc?

Thought I saw some Suburban Tool items listed on Craigslist Chicago. See your home is in Wisconsin. Don't know where you are from the state line but might be worth looking into.

Suburban Tool is one of the top-tier makers of precision fixturing and metrology items in the US. The same items that you see advertised in monthly discount flyers from the Encos of the world (made in China or India) are also made by Suburban Tool. The difference is that the tolerances advertised are actually met on the Suburban Tool items, and there is a level of attention to quality that only comes from a US-based company with a long history of making and supplying such. There is also the cost, anywhere from 5X -10X the cost of the low-priced imports. Suburban Tool's products are worth the investment, if you can afford them. McMaster Carr distributes some of their stuff as well.

BTW, I'm not connected with the company, just a satisfied user.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Good information to know before spending my money. I'll look into Newbould and the H. Schmidt products.
Chris

"Proudly Made In Our Facility In The USA - Ask Our Competition If They Can Say The Same"
Suburban Tool, Inc.

The thing I really don't get about Suburban Tool is their current direction. Their marketing has primarily focused on "Made in the USA". It's plastered all over their website. And now they're introducing "globally sourced" as a new product tier. I just don't get how that obvious historical conflict of interest can play out well in their customers' perceptions of the company.

"Proudly Made In Our Facility In The USA - Ask Our Competition If They Can Say The Same"
Suburban Tool, Inc.

The thing I really don't get about Suburban Tool is their current direction. Their marketing has primarily focused on "Made in the USA". It's plastered all over their website. And now they're introducing "globally sourced" as a new product tier. I just don't get how that obvious historical conflict of interest can play out well in their customers' perceptions of the company.

I agree of course, but you must note that the finish grinding is still done in Michigan to their .0002 flatness, parallelism, and perpendicularity standards. The cheap Asian imports have stolen a huge chunk of Suburban's market share. I am sure the management felt that adding this cheaper option was necessary.

I have never been disappointed in anything I bought from Suburban. I think some lemons must slip through their QC department, but as a whole, they are top rate tools. I know their customer service is very good and they will make things right if something is not.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but it just worries me. On the other hand, look at Gerstner -- they essentially saved and revived their domestic line with the creation of their global boxes. The distinction is far more obvious with materials and workmanship between toolboxes, however, than a pair of 1-2-3 blocks. Speaking of, I find it incredible that Suburban can maintain seven variations of a 1-2-3 block in their product offerings! If they can maintain the subtle distinctions between their name brand and Taft-Pierce versions, well, maybe I'm not giving them the credit they're due. :)

Suburban Tool, Inc.

I've never heard of the Company but looked at their website. It's true that they have "Made in the USA" on the first page but I'm sure the products shown there probably are Made in the USA. Their measuring equipment for example says nothing about "Made in the USA" and that probably couldn't be done at the prices shown.

The Suburban Tool front page does appeal to patriotism and if it works for them then why not?

Gordon

Suburban has always been amongst the top makers of grinder tooling in my book. The fit and finish on the newer stuff is not the same as the older (in my experience)

I would buy older suburban before newer if possible.

Also, a fair bit of suburban tools items were not marked very well and the marking tended to wear off. I have several items that I am positive are suburban items, but the logo has long since work off. They must have been lightly chemically etched or something...

Many of their items are/have been produced with metal tags.

I think everyone who would focus on making things in the USA would eventually have to have a line of items to make money on the business they would lose when someone wishes to get something of lesser quality and less cost anyway. Getting paid for something is better than not being paid for selling nothing. Many companies who really wish to only sell "Made in the USA' must outsource some things and those things will be sold anyway and so the choice becomes buy from someone who is more part of the problem or buy from someone who is more into the solution.

I'm a Suburban fan, I love to be surrounded by quality tooling / equipment rich in history that I can depend on to earn my living. Most all the Suburban tooling we have was bought used on eBay. I once scored a 5C spin index that was rebadged SPI for 150 ( new 750 ) No contest with the made in USA and the cheap import spin indexes. I have no problem with their import line and as a matter of fact will be buying a couple toolmakers vises and 123 blocks soon. But for the more complex stuff that rotates Made in USA it is. They were also kind enough to send us in a couple blank tags for a 30 year old Made In USA Whirly Gig that we bought used at a local auction missing that tag. 2 weeks later we received their catalogue in the mail with a half dozen tags, free !

Yes I read through the older post on someone not being happy with one of the high end dividing heads, but I'm sure an email or phone call would make it right. But then again I agree the older stuff was probably better in quality and for that product there are other choices such as Newbould or Harig.

Say WHAT?????
And you once worked in QC in the states for a decent sized company???
I don't know what to say, I'm floored.
Bob

News flash :)

I've NEVER said that I've ever worked in QC in the US. You might be getting confused with the fact that I have written that I worked as quality engineer for a Danish company that made parts for the F-16 fighter plane. I did visit the American company a few times and even landed at the company airport in the company private jet. Customs came on board the plane and were polite!!!! In fact the Danish company ended up making the parts better than the American company and were given orders way beyond the original order including for the Sikorsky helicopter.

Also - why would I buy measuring equipment from an American company when we have so many excellent ones in Europe? OTOH thinking back most of what I bought was Mitutoyo and from the Danish importer.

In fairness I'll add that we did buy a couple of very expensive, American made production machines. Vacuum soldering and thin metal folding. The products the Danish Company made were inconel and alu heat exchangers.

Gordon

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: Why oh WHY is SUBURBAN TOOL CO. jumping the AMERICAN ship now! GLOBALLY SOURCED is just another way of saying MADE IN CHINA! I have many OLD USA made Suburban Tool Co. tools But will buy NO MORE! HErmann Schmidts for me!
I tried to speak with Suburban Tool co. BUT they really do NOT want to talk about it! I asked "when an angle plate comes in from OUTSOURCING what do the AMERICAN people do to it?" INSPECTION was their reply! "Tools must meet our STANDARDS". I asked IF they do not what happens?Suburban Tool Co. Rep then had other business to attend to! No replies since September of 2013.
Being a QUALITY CONTROL person in this same position i know how that INSPECTION goes!!! "SHIP IT if its wrong the customer will send it back and we'll send another!" They are SO AFFORADBLE companies in America NOW have that philosophy!! NOT ME!! As soon as i refused to ISSUE Certs OF Compliance i was let go next day! 15 years down the tube! Bright side I received my VACATION and others did NOT when the SHOP closed and WENT to China!!

Suburban Tool, Inc.

I was TOLD directly by a Suburban Tool Co. REP that all they do is INPECT the "GLOBALLY SOURCED" products as they come in. NO GRINDING unless RE-WORK. I love my OLD USA made Suburban Tooll Co. tools BUT am VERY disappointed in "GLOBALLY OUTSOURCED" items. I understand that their lines have all been copied.
Like the Company i worked for they ALSO probaly sent PRINTS over to have tools made so NOW they just make their own tools now! Happens all the time ill bet!

I'm considering purchasing some items from a company located in Michigan called Suburban Tool, Inc. Website is Suburban Tool, Inc. - PRECISION WORKHOLDING & INSPECTION EQUIPMENT. Anybody have any feedback or information on them?
Looking at their Sine sets and squares.
Thanks,
Chris

Try Hermann Schmidt tools in Ct. American made tools and NONE are better! I have MANY Suburban Tool Co. AND Hermann Schmidt tools and love them BOTH. BUT NOT the glaobally outsourced SUBURBAN TOOL CO. Tools! BUY AMERICAN if you can!

I love my suburban tool grinding vise; I got it about 20 years ago.
I guess they have to keep up with the importers/clones
After a quick browse of their website they seem to have jumped on the bandwagon by cloning my beloved Khun Clearview Radi-Angle Dresser
Value Line Radius and Angle Wheel Dressers from Suburban Tool, Inc.
If you can buy old suburban tools most likely worth their weight in gold this new imported garbage is just the same as ENCO IMHO

I was TOLD directly by a Suburban Tool Co. REP that all they do is INPECT the "GLOBALLY SOURCED" products as they come in. NO GRINDING unless RE-WORK. I love my OLD USA made Suburban Tooll Co. tools BUT am VERY disappointed in "GLOBALLY OUTSOURCED" items. I understand that their lines have all been copied.
Like the Company i worked for they ALSO probaly sent PRINTS over to have tools made so NOW they just make their own tools now! Happens all the time ill bet!

That's very interesting. Here's the description from Suburban describing their Value Line products.

Suburban Tool’s new line of products are globally sourced and finished in our factory in Auburn Hills, MI.
These products come with the same warranty and support that you have come to expect from Suburban Tool Inc. for over 40 years.

I had assumed that finished meant that they did the grinding but then again, I was suspicious regarding the low price for these products and couldn't imagine that they did very much with the product once they received it.

Patrick

Back