What's new
What's new

Which transfer stand / Indicator holder to buy?

Matt@RFR

Titanium
I was at another shop today and saw a cool transfer stand (atleast that's what they called it) that I would like to get, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm sure I'm not using the correct name.

Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture and there wasn't any brand on it that I could find before I had to leave. It looks roughly like this:

transfer stand.jpg

It had a fine adjustment knob on the rear of the base and the indicator mount that slides on the main column was just tightened with a knob on the side. I didn't see any graduations on it. Any idea where to find one like this? It worked really well and was solid as a rock.

Are you sure it wasn't homemade? I've never seen one like that, good luck on your search!

Matt I have one like you are asking for, it was made in England and I have two of them. Photo to come soon....

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN2391 (Small).JPG
    DSCN2391 (Small).JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,004
  • DSCN2394 (Small).JPG
    DSCN2394 (Small).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 575
I dont know the model number. But have one by mitutoyo like that. Really handy.
Mitutoyo was my first thought since that is my go-to brand for metrology, but I've been all over their website with no luck. How old is yours? I'm afraid it's something that is not available anymore.

CBlair said:
Matt I have one like you are asking for, it was made in England and I have two of them.
That looks pretty robust. Are you saying you have an "extra" one you might sell? Do you like how it works? This will just be for general flatness and comparison measurements.

Well I had not thought of selling it but for now I only need one...but it functions and looks just like the one you described. It is about 18 in tall and weights a ton and the function is exactly as you mentioned earlier. It rests on three hardened buttons and slides nice on a surface plate. They are not in perfect condition but so far the function is fine for my needs. I believe the company still exists, perhaps they are available new?

Charles

I was at another shop today and saw a cool transfer stand (atleast that's what they called it) that I would like to get, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm sure I'm not using the correct name.

Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture and there wasn't any brand on it that I could find before I had to leave. It looks roughly like this:

View attachment 96004

It had a fine adjustment knob on the rear of the base and the indicator mount that slides on the main column was just tightened with a knob on the side. I didn't see any graduations on it. Any idea where to find one like this? It worked really well and was solid as a rock.

Contacting a few measuring equipment suppliers and asking for catalogues would be an easy way to see the zillions of choices available. At a rough guess I'd say I had a least 50 measuring tool calalogues and brochures in my office.

Is this something that's difficult to do in the USA?

There's also this road for the large manufacturers although I do prefer something I can hold :)

Mitutoyo - Download: Catalogue

I believe the company still exists, perhaps they are available new?
Charles, I just went through their main catalog and the stand you have is not in there. Too bad as it looks like a really nice stand.

Gordon, I've contacted two tooling suppliers that carry a wide array of brands, looked in MSC, Travers, McMaster, craigslist and ebay. I've also done general internet searches for both websites and images and have yet to find anything like the one I saw. That's when I decided to start this thread.

Gordon said:
Is keeping your mouth shut when you have nothing substantial to add difficult to do in Denmark?

Charles, I just went through their main catalog and the stand you have is not in there. Too bad as it looks like a really nice stand.

Gordon, I've contacted two tooling suppliers that carry a wide array of brands, looked in MSC, Travers, McMaster, craigslist and ebay. I've also done general internet searches for both websites and images and have yet to find anything like the one I saw. That's when I decided to start this thread.

Is keeping your mouth shut when you have nothing substantial to add difficult to do in Denmark?

No and being civil isn't either. I couldn't see from your OP what you had and hadn't done.

Did it look like this?

3904.gif

That's a Murkens/Herman Schmidt indicator base. Here's a listing at Penn Tool with prices -

Murkens Indicator Base For Surface Plate Work << Work Holding Devices << Online Catalog << Penn Tool Co.

There are 2 or 3 sizes made.

I just did an ebay search for transfer stand and wow, I am a bit shocked by the price they are going for. But if you keep your eye on Ebay you should come up with a better price if you just bide your time.

Charles

I wouldn't claim to have seen all types of height gauges but I've never seen one as illustrated (with a diagonal "support") in the OPs first picture. Every one I've seen until now has either been single or double column.

Hoping I don't get my head bitten off but just saying.

Gordon

Contacting a few measuring equipment suppliers and asking for catalogues would be an easy way to see the zillions of choices available. At a rough guess I'd say I had a least 50 measuring tool calalogues and brochures in my office.

There's also this road for the large manufacturers although I do prefer something I can hold
smile.gif

Mitutoyo - Download: Catalogue

My new year's resolution is not to be provoked by idiotic comments. Let's see if I can keep that resolution ;)

Sounds to me like you want OTHER people to not be provoked by idiotic comments.

I stopped by the shop that I saw this transfer stand at today and got some pictures. It's made by SPI, but has no part numbers anywhere. The engraving on the bottom is from the shop that originally owned it. I don't see anything like it in SPI's online catalog.

IMG_20140109_135555.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140109_135555.jpg
    IMG_20140109_135555.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 454

Back