What's new
What's new

Transporting a B&S MicroVal CMM

Mike Henry

Titanium
I need to move an old MicroVal about 120 miles from the shop it currently reside in to my garage. The paperwork says that it is a MicroVal A, dating from 1989 and that it weighs about 300 lbs. It's about 55" high, a little too tall to fit in the back of my Honda CRV. Can it be laid on it's back without damaging it, or is it possible to disassemble it into short enough pieces so that it can be moved with the CR-V?

If moving by trailer is the best way, what sort of things should be done to immobilize the sensitive bits?

I do have the manual and will be going through that in detail.

It looks a lot like the one pictured in this Ebay listing:

B&S MicroVal CMM Manager 3.0 Retrofit Renishaw CAD | eBay

Mike

I have a Microval like the one shown. When it was delivered, there was some specialized fixtures included to immobilize the axes for relocating the machine. Of course, the granite platen is removable by simply lifting it out. each axis must be immobilized using the special clamping fixtures included with the new machine. If you need assistance, there is a company in Michigan whose web site is included in the e-bay listing who can give you assistance advice.

If you don't have access to these clamping fixtures, you could probably conjure up some so that each axis is immobilized. Have plenty of help to lift it gently for moving. Don't lay it down. Your best choice is to move it upright on a 2-wheel trailer or pickup. I moved mine 50 miles like this successfully.

Lord Byron

Thanks Bruce, that helps ease my mind some. I'll check to see if the current owner still has the clamping fixtures and will contact the Ebay seller if necessary. The manual references the fixtures but there isn't enough detail to build them from that and the CMM is 2 hours away, so it's not easy to reverse engineer something.

Worst case, I'll rent a pickup for the move. The seller is well equipped to load whatever form of transport I come up with so that end should be easy.

Mike

Back