What's new
What's new

true position tolerance

vikes1

Plastic
I need help with true position tolerance. I have a part that is 1'' thick by 8'' long. there is a Ø .625 +.001/-.000 hole that is .500 from datum A. (datum A is side of part) and 3.625 from datum C (Datum C is end of part). then there are 3 tapped holes in line with the .625 hole. and the tapped holes are dimension off of the .625 hole 1.500 on each side of the .625 hole and one tapped hole 3.00 from .625 hole all dimensions are basic. True position callout on the .625 hole is Ø.01 to datum B, A and C ( datum B is the top surface). True position of the tapped holes are Ø.014 to datum B, A and C. My question is what is the location tolerance of the tapped holes that are being called out from the .625 hole. (1.500 and 3.000 basic dimensions) I'm not sure how to figure out true position tolerance from hole to hole. the material of the part is 4140 steel Thank you for your help

Sounds like the TP tolerance is being called out from the datums, with respect to location of the holes. In this case, the center to center tolerance is a function of the allowable deviations in the TP callouts from the datums.

The basic dimensions sound like they are laid out at the convenience of the designer and daisy chained rather than all coming from the Datums. That doesn't mater. They are BASIC dimensions which represent the perfect location and the arrangement of the Basic dims on the drawing does not imply any effect on the TP callouts. Work to the TP callouts.

Oh shit. Just noticed, OP's first post. Got to be a troll.

Back