What's new
What's new

WHat is the difference between various Hilger & Watts Auto-collimators

hkv

Plastic
Hi,

I am considering buying an old Hilger & Watts Auto-collimator. However, I can't figure out what is the difference between the models available. I have seen:

TA1
TA3
TA53-2
TA59

Can someone enlighten med what is the difference between the models and which one to look for? I want to use it for checking surface plates (3x2) and machine ways etc.

Perhaps someone is sitting on an old sales broschure that clarifies it all. :o

Hi,

I am considering buying an old Hilger & Watts Auto-collimator. However, I can't figure out what is the difference between the models available. I have seen:

TA1
TA3
TA53-2
TA59

Can someone enlighten med what is the difference between the models and which one to look for? I want to use it for checking surface plates (3x2) and machine ways etc.

Perhaps someone is sitting on an old sales broschure that clarifies it all. :o

I am reviving this thread, because I am also interested in this question. Does anyone know the answer?

There are photographs from a leaflet:
Hilger & Watts TA3-1 Autocollimator

The informations I put into a table:
HW_large.jpg

Same picture of the table in better quality:
https://abload.de/img/hw_largep8b87.png

Some of the information from the leaflet typed in:
Hilger&Watts

Microptic Universal Autocollimators
- larger aperture, giving increased maximum working distance
-2 ?/?-inch diameter telescope barrel, chromium plated and ground to permit direct mounting in vees and tooling fixures
- elemination of the image of the target draticule from the field of view
- maximum versatility

For the types 1, 3, 50, 51, 53, 57 this 4 data are the same:
- direct reading to: 0.1 second of arc
- measuring range: 10 minutes of arc
- accuracy over total measuring range: 2 seconds of arc
- accuracy over any 1-minute range: 0.5 second of arc

TA1
Microoptic Autocollimator
Displacements in two planes at right-angles are measured separately, by rotating the instrument through 90 degrees. External micrometer reading system.
maximum working distance: 50 ft

TA 3 Photoelectric Microptic Autocollimator
Displacements in two planes at right-angles are measured separately, by rotating the instrument through 90 degrees. Settings are made by rotating the external micrometer drum until a null-reading is given on a separate indicator meter.
maximum working distance: 30 ft (50 ft when used as a visual-setting instrument)

TA 53 Photoelectric Microptic Autocollimator
same as TA3, but:
Displacements in two planes at right-angles are measured separately, by rotating the eyepiece through 90 degrees.
maximum working distance: 50 ft (100 ft when used as a visual-setting instrument)

TA 50 Universal Autocollimator
Displacements in two planes at right-angles are measured separately, by rotating the eyepiece through 90 degrees. External micrometer reading system.
maximum working distance: 100 ft
+ Position of eyepiece interchangeable to permit either straight viewing, or right-angle viewing from above the intrument.

TA 51 Universal Autocollimator

TA 57 Photoelectric, Servo-Operated Autocollimator

TA 58 Photoelectric, Servo-Operated Autocollimator

TA 80 A.P.S. Autocollimator

TA 81 A.P.S. Autocollimator

TA 82 A.P.S. Autocollimator
Cheers,
Karl

Does anyone have some information about the Hilger Watts model TA121-1 autocollimator? I'd be very interested to see basic information about it, similar to the listings in the table shown in the previous post above.

Does anyone have some information about the Hilger Watts model TA121-1 autocollimator? I'd be very interested to see basic information about it, similar to the listings in the table shown in the previous post above.

Back