What's new
What's new

What do you think this comparator is worth?

Dave K

Diamond
I know, it's hard without seeing it in person, but just a ball park of the most and the least you would expect to pay. It's a 1992 model. It a OGP brand, motorized on all 3 axis. Has surface imaging, automatic edge detection, can do things like get a diameter off 3 points of a circle. Has 2 different screens that come with it for checking radii and angles, and for when you change to 20 power or 50 power lenses.

It also comes with 3 lenses, 10X 20X, and 50X which can be changed automatically with the flip of a knob. The scales are accurite scales.

Not sure what the travels are but I think it's got 8 inches in X.

What do ya think?

comp.jpg

I have no eye dear. ;)

I dunno....maybe somewhere around $3800 to $5200? It's small, but has a lot of great features. I've started looking for something affordable myself, but I know that one would be well-out of reach for me.

I dunno either. I've seen comparators go for wildly different numbers, from "drag it away for free because its in the way" to "way more than any sane person would pay". That looks like a really nice one but my guess is that being used, 2-3k would be a max.

Well, I found out it goes for 23,000 to 27,000 brand new. It was in a Lab in the Harley Davidson plant here in Milwaukee. They're asking 7000.

I looked at what they have in lesser models, and they are still up there at 3-5 grand. And that's for a Jones & Lamson that simply measures X and Y.

I looked at new ones that are cheap, and a mitutoyo I can get is about 6800, that's with a 10 power lense. Want a 20 power? Cost an extra 1000.
Need a stand for it? $600 bucks. Need a vice or V block? Another 650.

It's ridiculous what they're getting for the extras on these things, so I thought 7000 wasn't too bad. For that they will deliver, set it up, and calibrate.

If you can budget it, and you truly need it (peace of mind is a true need), then go for it.

Seems the vendor is insisting you will be satisfied with the unit, none of this "As-Is" stuff.

You could always make a written offer for oh, say $6,000, make the offer good for 60 days, and make sure you give them at least one good cell phone number, one good land line number, and one good email address.

If it has all the bells and whistles, and you have picky picky customers, that unit should keep them satisfied with your work, right?

If you can budget it, and you truly need it (peace of mind is a true need), then go for it.

Seems the vendor is insisting you will be satisfied with the unit, none of this "As-Is" stuff.

You could always make a written offer for oh, say $6,000, make the offer good for 60 days, and make sure you give them at least one good cell phone number, one good land line number, and one good email address.

If it has all the bells and whistles, and you have picky picky customers, that unit should keep them satisfied with your work, right?

Absolutely! I'm getting more and more turning work that requires a hard verification of sizes, rather than, "I've got the numbers right in the program, so it has to be good". LOL!

It only increases my ability to verify sizes to be correct, giving my customers more confidence in my abilities.

My comparator is nowhere that nice, but it sure is great for older eyes that just don't see as well as they used to. I just need to rig up surface illumination.

Back