What's new
What's new

what is a good way to check perpendicularity?

rimcanyon

Diamond
I'm scraping the ways on a Deckel mill saddle. X axis ways include both planes: XZ and XY, and the Z axis ways include both XZ and YZ planes. The ways I am worried about are the XY and YZ guide ways, which need to be perpendicular to each other and are on opposite sides of the saddle, since they establish the geometry of the machine. Here are some pictures. The saddle is upside down in all 3 pictures of it. The first shows the Z axis ways, second X axis ways, third the profile of the X axis ways, and the 4th shows the table. I have some more recent photos I will post that shows the progress with the scraping. At this point the XZ plane ways have been scraped flat and parallel, on both sides, and what is left are the guide ways for the table (XY plane) and the column (YZ plane). Both are box ways with a gib on one side (none of the gibs are shown, but there are also gibs that bolt on to the flanges, that run up against the back sides of the box ways). I also have the table left to do along with all the gibs.

33580d1303099949-fp2-table-overhaul-saddle_1.jpg

33583d1303099985-fp2-table-overhaul-saddle_4.jpg

33582d1303099975-fp2-table-overhaul-saddle_3.jpg

33581d1303099962-fp2-table-overhaul-saddle_2.jpg

I have the saddle on my surface plate, sitting on the scraped surfaces shown in the first picture (which establish the XZ reference plane). So it was relatively easy to get the XZ ways scraped flat and parallel. There doesn't seem to be any other suitable surfaces on the saddle to use as reference surfaces for the XY and YZ guide ways... So I'm left to devise some other means. Getting the two guide ways perpendicular to the XZ ways is a fitting issue, not an alignment issue - it will work itself out at the point where I fit the table to the saddle and the saddle to the column.

BTW, the surface that the saddle is sitting on in the three pictures above is not a suitable reference surface, its out of parallel with the X axis guide ways by at least .001" side to side, and it is a machined surface, not a ground and scraped surface. However, one possibility I had considered is to scrape it first and make it the reference surface for the XY guide ways. Then the problem would still be to get the YZ guide ways perpendicular to it (or to the surface plate).

The best I have come up with as a strategy is this:

Scrape the YZ guide ways first and fit the saddle to the column, then do the scraping of the XY guide ways after the saddle is mounted on the column. The point being, I can use a sensitive level to get XY ways perpendicular to the column.

I've been racking my brain for a slick way to do it on the surface plate. Part of the problem is that it is a lot harder to measure the relative angles of the guide ways directly (using a level for example), since they are small and there are obstructions. Its a lot easier to measure the ways relative to the column with the saddle mounted in place. I'm open to suggestions. The method needs to be easy to set up since it will get used repetitively to check progress.

I guess it would help if I explained what measurement tools I have available: an autocollimator, an optical right angle for it, mirror, sensitive levels and a square with a sensitive level in it (for measuring plumb), cylindrical squares, angle blocks, etc.

-Dave

Granite square

A granite square is just like a surface plate, and made by the same people. The square has perpendicular faces that are very accurately 90°.

They're not particularly expensive.

- Leigh

The best I have come up with as a strategy is this:

Scrape the YZ guide ways first and fit the saddle to the column, then do the scraping of the XY guide ways after the saddle is mounted on the column. The point being, I can use a sensitive level to get XY ways perpendicular to the column.

That was my first though...scrape to the column/saddle.

A copy of "Machine Tool Reconditioning", would answer a lot of your questions. This book shows how to verify the relationships between surfaces,
as you recreate them, with indicating fixtures, etc.
One of the subjects, that the author covers, is the production of a flat surface(3), using three rough machined plates, and a system of cross swapping them as masters. This is a book that needs to be read by anyone attempting a scraping job. It contains information, that is timeless.
Regards,
Bob

A copy of "Machine Tool Reconditioning", would answer a lot of your questions. This book shows how to verify the relationships between surfaces,
as you recreate them, with indicating fixtures, etc.
One of the subjects, that the author covers, is the production of a flat surface(3), using three rough machined plates, and a system of cross swapping them as masters. This is a book that needs to be read by anyone attempting a scraping job. It contains information, that is timeless.
Regards,
Bob

Hi Bob.

I've read Connelly cover to cover, and I agree it is an excellent resource. However, it has been a number of years and I do not recall any section that deals with the problem of directly verifying the perpendicularity of box ways on opposite sides of a large casting. I should re-read it, that's a foregone conclusion. One more thing that may not be obvious: both the saddle and the table are too heavy to lift. So I would like to scrape the saddle while it is on the surface plate, as opposed to the kinds of methods Connelly describes, where you use the machine as the reference, and fit the parts together to take measurements. Those I want to save for last, and aren't the methods I am asking about.

What I am really trying to solve is a way to do 99% of the work with the saddle on the surface plate, prior to fitting the parts together.

So I think I have two options: verify the perpendicularity of the guide ways to each other (with the ways above and parallel to the surface plate, sitting on the scraped surface shown in the first pic). Maybe there is an optical solution for that??

Or

scrape another reference surface parallel to the X axis on the top of the knee casting, so that I can set the knee on the surface plate (upside down). then use the surface plate to check parallel with the X axis guide way, and perpendicular to the Y. that is the direction I am leaning...

-Dave

Rimcanyon,

Some pics granite square - Google-søgning

On the next one I don't know the company but it might give you an idea
Granite Square,Iron Right Angle,Precision Granite Square,Cast Iron Right Angle

Gordon

Gordon, thanks for the link to the granite squares. I had never seen tall, thin squares like those, and the ones that are called granite block masters, with 6 sides finished, look excellent for this job. I have sent an inquiry to the company. I have some cast iron squares, that are either thin and accurate on 2 sides, or big and clunky and accurate on several sides (e.g. 20x5x16, 8x8x8, which don't fit into box ways like these.

They also make 40T & 2MT tapered alignment mandrels, so another inquiry went out for those, along with the question, do they make #12 Jarno taper alignment mandrels.

-Dave

Hi Mark, I know about Miller's arbor. However, I believe Miller is not currently in production, there was a post about that in the Monarch forum. Also, $275 seems high to me, considering how simple it is:

testbar.gif

The Luthra link works fine for me still:

http://www.luthraprecision.com/granite-square-c-i-right-angle.html

I will be in Delhi next February, so I will see if I can set up a visit -its only about an hour away. Maybe we can find a source of 12 Jarno taper arbors at some fraction of Miller's price. However, so far I have had no reply to my inquiries, maybe they do not want to deal with individuals.

Miller is back. I just got one a few weeks ago.

I agree the price isn't cheap (I think my 5MT was $225), but when I said "reasonable" I meant compared to other options. I've seen a couple other places selling them for $500 and up. I know if I went to my local precision grinder and asked them to do a one-off it'd be more than Miller's. But I agree, seems like a lot for such a simple thing.

If you need a 5MT, I'd be happy to loan mine.

The luthra link works now for me. Must have been temp outage.

Could this be a way?

:)I am not so good in english but I have tryed to describe how I would do this. I need the spellcheck function so I have written my idea in a Word file. The file is 39.5 kB, to big for this forum, wat can I do?

I have a proposal how to solve your task to measure perpendicularity for your milling machine. This is a “low cost solution”.
Assume you have the vertical surfaces scraped on the knee part to be parallel. (Can be checked with the knee part laying on the reference surface and checked with a test indicator).
Then take an about 400 mm long grinded rod, (lapped is best) about 20 mm dia. The diameter has to fit in the V-surfaces so the rod touches the scraped surfaces. Mount a test indicator to an arm and mount the arm to the rod end. Add an axial “trust bearing” on the rod inside the arm. Now you can lightly press the rod in to the V-surfaces and let the the bearing be in contact with the knee casting, swing the arm (the rod works as a shaft) and the test indicator tip will give you a very correct perpendicularity “sweep”. You need than to find a way to reach the flat scraped surfaces for the vertical guides on the knee part. I would try a rod with a “foot” as can rest on the vertical guide surface and the other end in a position as can be touched by the indicator tip. The rod has to transfer the vertical surface to points as indicator tip can touch. The rod foot surface and its top end surface has to be parallel. To perform your check you have to move that rod to two, one upper and one lower position.
Good Luck
POAx

Well, the replies from Standridge and Luthra were not budget breakers, but close :eek:

Luthra was about half the price of Standridge, and shipping would of course be higher.

Triangular shape 4-face AAA grade (.000025"/12")

Standridge: 12x18x3 $1,086.00 + tax + shipping (60 lbs) in 1-2 wks
Luthra: [FONT=&quot]400 x 250 x 63 mm 535.00 USD + $25 crating + shipping in 3 wks

I have sent another inquiry for AA grade.

Leigh, what did you mean when you said
[/FONT]
They're not particularly expensive.
Do you know of a less expensive source?

I'd be interested to hear what shipping from India costs.

I don't think you'll find much variation in price domestically. Precision Granite has an online price, and their AA tri-square in that size is $921.

Google search results will change over time and probably from place to place as well (is, search results localized to varying degrees), so identifying by position on search page is not very durable. The position you specify displays a sink for me.

In any event, Dave apparently wants something much larger and much more accurate than the 6"x10" square you describe. He was pricing 12"x18" with .0000025" (0.6 microns).

Squares as you describe however can be obtained for between $95 (chinese no-name) and $300 (USA name brand)

Dave, not specific to your particular use here, but I wonder if it'd make sense to buy a smaller square and a longer straightedge, and clamp them together temporarily. A 9"x12" tri-square and a 24" straight edge (both AA) combined looks to cost similar to an AA 12"x18" tri-square. The two items might be more useful over time than one larger tri-square.

[FONT=&quot]Leigh, do you know of a less expensive source?[/FONT]

The ones I use are actually granite triangles, with four accurate (.000025"/12")
faces (the diagonal is not).

These are available i
n the same accuracy grades, but at about half the weight, and significantly lower cost since there are only four finished faces.

- Leigh

Re the Chinese "no name" though, do you know where the USA brand name ones are actually made? $205 for a brand name seems expensive. I've seen many things with brand names that aren't actually made in the country associated with the brand name.

Yeah, "brand name" is pretty vague. In this case, I was thinking of actual manufacturers, like Standridge Granite. Manufacturing precision granite products is all they do. There are about half a dozen US precision granite manufacturers, mostly located near granite quarries.

I assume brand names like Starrett are actually made by someone else, but I don't really know.

The ones I use are actually granite triangles, with four accurate (.000025"/12") faces (the diagonal is not).

These are available in the same accuracy grades, but at about half the weight, and significantly lower cost since there are only four finished faces.

- Leigh

Hi Leigh, the prices I quoted were for triangular squares, finished 4 sides, same as you describe. Do you know of a source?

Dave

Back