What's new
What's new

What type of dial to use in you bore gauge?

Lanza

Aluminum
Purchased a Mitutoyo 511-713 metric bore gauge of ebay new. It came with a dial indicator of 10mm stroke, 0.01 graduations.
It is a lug type indicator, that's what you get for buying of ebay. It is a standard 2046 indicator. I notice some tenths (inch) indicators that I have used in the past have the positive ccw and the negative cw, which makes sense for a bore.

Just wondering what people prefer?

I notice some tenths (inch) indicators that I have used in the past have the positive ccw and the negative cw, which makes sense for a bore.
Plus and minus definitely makes sense for a bore gauge. I have the English/American version of the set you have and it came from Mitutoyo with just such a tenths-reading Mitutoyo indicator. I also have various Diatest and Mahr bore gauges covering other size ranges and all of them come with the same type of indicator. I would not be happy using any of them with the type of gauge you have ("let's see, I set the gauge at 0.0100" using a 2.9735" ring gage, and it's now reading 0.0043", so that means my bore is 100 minus 43 added to, or, wait, is that subtracted from?!...").

We use Indicator: 0-.0250", .0001", Dial 0-5-0

Set the the indicator zero, after one rotation, to mid range of the tolerance, gives the machinist a few rotations and the ability to see if they are still minus on the bore.

Are you looking to change the mm indicator to inch?

You can easily change the lug back for a flat back or just mill off the lug.

I never look at the + or - on the dial. I know that as the indicator hand approaches zero the bore is large, past zero the bore is small.

If the + or - designation on the dial face is going to cause confusion to the operator then remove the bezel and mark the dial face to suit with a sharpie.

Back