What's new
What's new

Where to purchase inspection ball stylii (not ruby CMM probes/stylus)

helterskelter

Cast Iron
I need a .025'' radii ball inspection stylus/probe to measure scratches (IE: if a .025'' stylii hangs up in a scratch, then it is unacceptable, re-work part). Can anyone point me in the right direction to buy something like this? All I can seem to find when searching are CMM probes. I'd rather not spend the money on a ruby if I can get away with it. Thanks for the help.

Smallest ready-made tips I've seen are 1/32" Dia with the exception of a 0.020" Dia one from Long Island Indicator. If you've not yet found the size you want but can find a source for the balls, you might try contact welding a suitable "handle" on the ball using the capacitor discharge method. Or maybe LI Indicator knows of a source.

Regards

Might be a bit of a tangent - not certain of size, but dentists use ball like style on handles to compact fillings, might be just the ticket for your needs.

I found a 0.050'' diameter carbide ball tip for a CMM and stuck it in a exacto knife handle. It works well for probing coatings. Unfortunately it was $70, so must be careful with it (it's tiny).

Back