What's new
What's new

10" 3 Jaw too big for 10EE?

Earl Sigurd

Aluminum
I have just acquired a TOS 3 jaw, external jaws only, 10" diameter. Bit of a spontaneous buy, but cheap.

Would you regard this as too big to swing (moderate speeds)on EE equivalent (CVA)on D1-3 mount?

Regards,

Only if I stick them out that far. I do not know if chuck mfrs recommend that you don't stick them out from body.

This thing weighs 21Kg, say 46#, do you think this is OK at moderate speeds and not taking the michael on cuts?

You will be limited to only an inch stick out and a ci chuck is not even rated for half speed of a 10EE.

I have just acquired a TOS 3 jaw, external jaws only, 10" diameter. Bit of a spontaneous buy, but cheap.

Would you regard this as too big to swing (moderate speeds)on EE equivalent (CVA)on D1-3 mount?

Regards,

Yes, it is too big! Think of those poor precision spindle bearings, and the small mounting flange.

Monarch's stock 8" 3 jaw was a small and thin lightweight chuck, its downside was the lack of adjustment.
We have a 8" Pratt Burnerd adjustable on our 10EE. It looks rather large for the machine. I try and keep the rev's under 1500.

Back