What's new
What's new

10ee

I may get buried for this but what's the big deal about 10EE's? Why does everyone seem to love one or want one?

Buried? Nah, I hope not. It's a good question.
I just got a 10EE after deciding a while back it was my "dream lathe", so here is my quick take on the topic.

I don't know if everyone loves them or wants them. It's a highly individual thing I believe. With the 10EE, the combination of design forethought, care and craftsmanship, true precision performance and beautiful aesthetic design combine to create a very positive emotional response in many folks. This is what happened to me and why I recently got one. I value really well built products that look great and function great. When you see a 10EE in person, hear it in operation (or barely hear it) and use the machine (incredibly, incredibly smooth), it becomes very clear that someone really cared about the details, the functional details, and the ergonomic details and the aesthetic details. Is the 10EE perfect for everyone, no. Do other lathes have some of these awesome qualities and attributes, for sure. I personally think other lathes are really cool as well, but for me, the 10EE resonated the most, and the small foot print helps in the shop. Different strokes for different folks, but I personally think the 10EE has a lot to love, others may not, and thats ok. Thankfully we are all different.

I've done everything from reducing the diameter on a rod of A2 about 1/2" per pass to taking off .0002 in a single first pass on a lobed shaft end. The lathe does everything I ask with panache.

I have a 10EE. It is very smooth, takes a big cut, beautiful threads, ELSR, taper, and will turn 4000RPM. It is a little more accurate than my Hardringe and can handle much heavier material.
lolz, Do you understand Burleywood? How about "pulling ones leg"

Oh got it. Burleywood no. Pulling legs yeah

Its like explaining what chocolate tastes like...... or the difference between a classic ferrari and a VW, likely a little different for everyone. The 10EE is a small, precise, powerful, ergonomic, machine that fits many niche industries in manufacturing. They are quiet, smooth, high speed yet still utilitarian enough to not be overly finicky ( but its till kinda like having 8 stormbergs on a street rod, not as easy to tune as a 4 barrel but the cool factor is definitely there).

as to if you will ever understand it- it must be experienced.

Its like explaining what chocolate tastes like...... or the difference between a classic ferrari and a VW, likely a little different for everyone. The 10EE is a small, precise, powerful, ergonomic, machine that fits many niche industries in manufacturing. They are quiet, smooth, high speed yet still utilitarian enough to not be overly finicky ( but its till kinda like having 8 stormbergs on a street rod, not as easy to tune as a 4 barrel but the cool factor is definitely there).

as to if you will ever understand it- it must be experienced.

Strombergs

Had a couple Gordini in the day, but could you point me in the direction of an 8 cyl. one?

Re-NO! Dauphine, Gordini optioned, I'd guess?

Hang a two-by four out its engine hatch, you have had shit on a stick. Absent the two-by four, not even that.

Andre Gordini and his team designed a Formula One straight eight. Google for photos online.

It was a paragon of simplicity. Two of the far more famous of racing straight-eights had come from:

Mercedes - one of the most complex of such yet built, read: "desmodromic valves" and 957 different fuel-blend and jetting combinations

Alfa-Romeo's straight eight. Far more complex than a Gordini, yet rather more sensibly derived than a Mercedes as it had been made by splicing two fours end-to-end. Power take-offs could be placed at the middle of a whippy crankshaft, rather than at the ends. T.G. Nuvolari and a few others won a lot of races with these, even though they technically should not have been able to do.

Gordini earned enough fame to have his name badged onto those Dauphines, but may very well have wished he'd lost enough more races such that those never happened. As with any other Frenchman, eating well and shagging often had higher priority, so he did what he had to do.

:)

Bill

The Ra no was good for me. I do not and did not like them, but doubled my money when they passed through my hands. Installed a Mazda Rotary in a Ra No Alpine in about 1980. Made a decent Pro Rally car.

Back