What's new
What's new

10EE chuck shield mounting

guythatbrews

Titanium
I tried to search for this but couldn't find anything. I did find a lot on the dust shield question I posted yesterday tho and all my questions had already been answered. I guess not that good at searching...

Anyway I am going install a flexbar 8" chuck shield. Just moved the lathe close to the wall and after an hour tiny spots are already appearing. Hate that more than messing with the shield. Also hate flinging boring chips around.

There is a 2.5 x 3 flat spot on the back of the headstock that seems to be the spot. The best way I can see without drilling (which seems a bad idea without knowing just how thick) is to make a nice plate and epoxy it in place. Looks like epoxy tensile strength is around 900 psi so about 6300# to pull it straight off, discounting shocks and bumps.

Is there a better way?

Thanks Labeeman! There is one on ebay for $350. I was too dense to see the two inner ways are unencumbered at the headstock. I will make one like that!

It has been on Ebay for several months now he started out asking $600 even at $350 he is dreaming. I had a complete one I sold for $200.

Thanks Labeeman! There is one on ebay for $350. I was too dense to see the two inner ways are unencumbered at the headstock. I will make one like that!

That's just the bed mount and not the shield portion. I have some shots with a rule in them if you're interested:

10ee_shield_clamp.jpg

I must have seen the ebay deal 10 times at least but didn't attend. Sure that is just the clamp. Instead of flexbar shield for $159 and having to make a new post rig i am going to get 1/4 lexan and form one. Thanks guys!

I must have seen the ebay deal 10 times at least but didn't attend. Sure that is just the clamp. Instead of flexbar shield for $159 and having to make a new post rig i am going to get 1/4 lexan and form one. Thanks guys!

As curved Lexan (and Acrylic) are actually commodity items, and/or/else the "Day Job" of professional fabricators, other venues than our one, a person might just do the frame, hinge, and clamps?

Less likely to end up with optical annoyances that way. DAMHIKT

Point taken! But trying to save a few and I'd like to try it anyway. I hope the guard turns out well but I don't really need to see through it, I can just look under it if i need to. And I'm getting bronze tint clear (1/4x12x24 $26) so maybe it won't look so dirty all the time. And I will have plenty left over to make a few more items. I'll post the final product good or bad!

Regarding making your own, the commercially made polycarb shields are mounted/supported with a wire frame. There are no holes the the plastic, they also have stiffening flanges at each end. A simple half round without a frame will be rather floppy, they do not stick out anywhere near 12" either, my old Flex-Bar was maybe 6" wide. If you are concerned about swarf on the wall behind the lathe, put up a sheet of metal or even a shower curtain. The chuck guard is really not great to reduce spatter.

My Flex-Bar shield was mounted on a piece of uni-strut that was screwed to the rear cover. It has been gone a long time so no pictures. I have a factory chuck shield on the machine now, it is not as intrusive but still is kinda clunky in many ways.

Steve

Back