What's new
What's new

10EE Cross Slide cover question

ktbceres

Plastic
Hi,

This question is for Cal...or someone who may know the answer....I disassembled my cross slide and compound for cleaning(really glad I did!!). Before doing so, I was checking out posts for some insight. I recall seeing a post with a picture that showed the cross slide cover (the one with two corners cut a a 45) with a caption that these are often installed backwards. I believe mine was in fact installed backwards. For the life of me I cannot find that post. I thought it was on Cal's apron disassembly post but I didn't see it there unless I missed it.
Thanks!

The few images I can find in manuals and brochures are not really clear, but they do seem to show the square end out. I have the end with the corners cut off since it gave me a cleaner end to the slot for the stop - the other end was worn to the point of looking like a ramp and I thought it might pull out at some point.

Hi,

This question is for Cal...or someone who may know the answer....I disassembled my cross slide and compound for cleaning(really glad I did!!). Before doing so, I was checking out posts for some insight. I recall seeing a post with a picture that showed the cross slide cover (the one with two corners cut a a 45) with a caption that these are often installed backwards. I believe mine was in fact installed backwards. For the life of me I cannot find that post. I thought it was on Cal's apron disassembly post but I didn't see it there unless I missed it.
Thanks!
The mitered corners go to the back. If you look at the underside of the cross slide, you'll see that the rear of the cutout is circular; the mitered corner fit into the circular area when the slide is all the way forward.

Here's a post with instruction for removing the apron and carriage for cleaning and includes a link to photos with directions for removing the cross slide:

Here's a link to the photos (the directions are in the descriptions):

Unfortunately, photobucket has gone absolutely NUTS on the advertising. Let me know if you can't get to the photos.

Cal

Thanks Cal,
Another question as I have no previous experience with the 10EE...That cover seems to come in contact with the crossfeed dial housing when moved all the way to the front. When I move the crossfeed all the way to the rear, the cover is quite exposed and in fact I can remove it at that point. Is there a stop for the crossfeed to limit travel? Also, after I move from the rear to the front with so much of the cover sticking out in the front, it comes in contact with the dial housing which pushes it back in. Trying to understand what is "normal". Thanks

Thanks Cal,
Another question as I have no previous experience with the 10EE...That cover seems to come in contact with the crossfeed dial housing when moved all the way to the front. When I move the crossfeed all the way to the rear, the cover is quite exposed and in fact I can remove it at that point. Is there a stop for the crossfeed to limit travel? Also, after I move from the rear to the front with so much of the cover sticking out in the front, it comes in contact with the dial housing which pushes it back in. Trying to understand what is "normal". Thanks
I assume that you're talking about the dust plate, which sits in between the saddle and the "bottom slide" (the cross-slide). It has a slot in the bottom that works with a small setscrew to keep the plate from travelling too far in either direction. Friction between the bottom slide wiper and the dust plate should drag the plate back and forth as the slide moves, until one end or the other of the slot comes in contact with the setscrew. If you can remove your dust plate, then something has happened to the setscrew. It's not uncommon for them to get sheared off or removed. It's a little fella', 6-32ish.

This screwdriver in this photo is pointing to the setscrew:
IMG_0777.jpg

Cal

Thanks Cal...mine had a flat head screw that was pretty low which probably allowed the cover to pass over it. I'll change it out.
Thanks!!

Back