What's new
What's new

10EE Dovetail Along Cross Slide - Use for DRO Scale Mount

everettengr

Aluminum
My 10EE has the dovetail on the tailstock side of the cross slide. I have brochures that show a dial type indicator mounted to this dovetail. I am getting ready to install a DRO and was thinking of mounting the scale to the cross slide using this dovetail. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this??
Mark

That is where the reader scale is mounted on my 10 EE with no dovetail. Mine has an aluminum stop mounted on top of the x-slide that reaches over the scale to keep the scale from being scrunched by the tail stock.

That is where the reader scale is mounted on my 10 EE with no dovetail. Mine has an aluminum stop mounted on top of the x-slide that reaches over the scale to keep the scale from being scrunched by the tail stock.

Thanks.
I think it will work out well and eliminate drilling/tapping a few holes.

Here are some pics of the cross slide DRO (Sargon) on my not yet cleaned up 10EE (I feel the tremors of a terrible case of Shipwright's Disease coming on). You can see two shields, one for the scale, and another for the head. Whatever contacts the tailslide obviously needs to be very robust. I see a dovetail but it does not appear to be part of the mounting. I'm not sure how it could, given the length of this scale.

I'd be inclined to seal the seams of the shield with something. Another thought, if oil seeps out from under the cross slide (as I suppose it should), where does it go? Is there a path where it will get wicked where you don't want it, either via the cable, or a common wall?

Now I'm not sure how I'll satisfy this urge to turn a taper..

Mine has an aluminum stop mounted on top of the x-slide that reaches over the scale to keep the scale from being scrunched by the tail stock.

..which TS/Carriage collision can stress and crack at least the "Cast-Iron era" of wiper covers, DRO or no, as well. DAMHIKT.

'Something' there to reduce that seems wise, even if it eats an eighth of an inch (more) of daylight.

Radially Reduced Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers, mayhap?

:)

Bill

Since we're here, can one of you measure that dovetail along with its relative location for me? I had previously purchased the long cross slide with the accessory dovetail on the rear top, but mine does not have the side dovetail and I have been wanting to install one.

Looking for basic dovetail dimensions and relative location from the top of the slide. Thanks.

Since we're here, can one of you measure that dovetail along with its relative location for me? I had previously purchased the long cross slide with the accessory dovetail on the rear top,

Interesting. Didn't know Monarch even HAD such.

D'you have a photo, dimensions, PM or other link, even an EE-XXXX P/N for that?

Might kill-off a round-tuit project here I could easily do without.

Thanks,

Bill

Same as OP, just sans the female dovetail being discussed? :scratchchin:

Thanks for that. The 'round tuit' plan was to fab one.

Goal was twofold.

Simplest part was the longer slide was to obviate need of chip cover and gain from longer bearing area w/r the saddle cross dovetail.

Slightly more complex goal was ability to mount some of the several lovely-condition Hardinge tooling goodies I have already accumulated as gang or back tooling.

Either style in view would reduce my 'project' mostly to just fitting the new top slide. Providing for tool block mounting is far the easier part, top dovetail or no.

Simple locating dowel and bolt attach, not dovetail, as there won't be but a couple of options. If I wanted any more Hardinge 'system' than a taste, I'd be better-off to own a Hardinge. Don't need that.

Bill

My pleasure. My primary intent was to add bearing surface for both accuracy and longevity. But once it arrived and I actually saw the dovetail, ideas followed very quickly. :)

Hacker's Second Law in action.

We should have expected this to exist before we ever arrived on-scene to grok the advantages.

Having already fitted yours, so long as the 'meat' is in the proper area, your pragmatic route would be to take it off and mill the sort of dovetail everettengr has now shown. Or a less-intrusive one.

Overly optimistic I'd find one floating about, so it is down to Monarch's price - probably fabbed from scratch of necessity - vs my from-scratch DIY with lesser tooling, rusty skills, and far greater risk of error.

Other option is a plain-top long-slide, but IIRC I had the dimensions at one time and those are not nearly as long.

Bill

Having already fitted yours, so long as the 'meat' is in the proper area, your pragmatic route would be to take it off and mill the sort of dovetail everettengr has now shown. Or a less-intrusive one.

That's the plan. I fully expect to have to re-scrape it. I've got it at 40PPI, but have to install the garlock strip yet, so want to mill the dovetail beforehand. Then, once it's installed, I can install the Garlock strip, and then final scrape. New BL40 should be here this week. :D :D :D OhyesIdid.

'BL40' cross-refs to a Samsung "Chocolate" tellyfowne? Or?
:)

It's a cookie. Looks like this -

13183387_1778828795661847_1659433044_n.jpg

The rear dovetail slides are nice. I have one that I scraped and is ready to install on the 1940, just waiting for other projects in line to get done...

The toolposts are a bit hard to find, might have to make them. The Litton Q lathe, interestingly enough, has a matching dovetail on its slide, so toolposts for it can be used as the rear toolposts for the 10EE. For some reason, the tool posts vary in configuration: some have the T-slot parallel to the bed, some have it perpendicular.

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

The toolposts are a bit hard to find, might have to make them.

Thanks for the pics. Nice. My plan is to use a QCTP on the typical side for primary duty, and mount the OEM Four-Way tool post that came with the lathe to the rear by making an adapter block similar to one of the ones you posted. :)

I am still on the hunt for a follow rest, as well. If that does not present itself somewhat soon, I may resort to making one. Cal has been incredibly gracious with his knowledge and some information about them to that end.
icon14.png

The round dial follower rests are not really rigid. Square dial followers that bolt on both wings and the center of the saddle are a much better design. If you copy the casting for one of the square dial followers and reduce the center height to match a round dial, I bet you would have a lot of potential customers :smoking:

Back