What's new
What's new

10ee feed rod clutch disassembly(1953 square dial,mg)

skydawg

Aluminum
Do I have this right?1.Loosen the allen head screws between the clutch and gearbox(tight squeeze for the wrench),this will separate the clutch?2.Remove pinned gear from the rod end.Is that a pin holding the large diameter clutch piece to the feed rod?I tried drifting it out from both sides,can`t see into the opening,but nothing`s moving.Thanks for any help.

Yes, all you need to do to separate the clutch halves is to remove the four screws.
Mine (1950 s/n 33309) originally had slotted screws, but I replaced them with SHCS for easier future removal. Yes, it is a very tight fit for the wrench! I very slightly tapered the Allen wrench for easier insertion.

Once you have removed the four screws, it should come apart easily. If not, fasten the collar (the one that sets the trip point) securely and use that as a tapping point for your hammer.

You should not need to remove the large diameter piece that goes into the gearbox. If you are going to go to that extreme, you may want to remove the right-hand cover from the gearbox, but this requires removing the gearbox from the machine. Once you have done that, the cover comes right off and the two shafts come with it. See my recent thread on removing the cover for a photo of the inside.

Let me know if you need more help or photos. I have much more experience in this area than I ever wanted! :)

Alan

Thanks Alan,I got the feed rod off,ready to remove the apron.So the oil pump is in the apron and the metering units are in the saddle,yet from what I`ve read,there`s nothing to unfasten.That seems strange,or is there more to it?

There is a very thorough thread on apron removal, but this is the short story:

For a 1953 square dial, all you have to do is loosen the ten SHCS and the apron will simply come off. However...

Before you start, if you don't have a second strong person to help you, get over to Harbor Freight and get one of their hydraulic lift carts. Mine has been an absolute life saver.

First, drain the oil from the apron sump (pipe plug at the left end) and from the feed shaft reservoir (pipe plug underneath). This will reduce the mess later.

Second, place some 2x4 or 2x6 lumber front-to-back under the apron. It is a heavy beast and you don't to be wrestling with it as the last screw comes out.

Third, replace one SHCS at each end of the apron with a length (4" or longer) of threaded rod with a nut on top. This will allow you to remove the other eight screws and then gently lower the apron onto the lumber. From there you can lift it onto your work surface.

There is an oil channel between the apron and saddle which is sealed with either a cork or rubber ring. Don't lose it. There is also one oil metering unit in the apron, hidden under the tangle of cotton string that should be there. The other five oil metering units are on the underside of the saddle.

Holler if you have any more questions.

Alan

Back