What's new
What's new

10ee headstock oil drain

skydawg

Aluminum
Does the upper drain pipe empty all 3 headstock sight glass locations?It`s above the gear box fill and drain pipes.And what about the elbow below the belt tensioner,what does that drain?And yes,I bought the $75 manual from Monarch,a waste of money,very little specific to the 10ee,and never what I`m looking for.It has the drain plugs numbered in the pics,then those numbers are skipped over in the text!

Does the upper drain pipe empty all 3 headstock sight glass locations?It`s above the gear box fill and drain pipes.And what about the elbow below the belt tensioner,what does that drain?And yes,I bought the $75 manual from Monarch,a waste of money,very little specific to the 10ee,and never what I`m looking for.It has the drain plugs numbered in the pics,then those numbers are skipped over in the text!

Each of the several pipes drains but one gearbox, strong light and you can see which is which.

The two separate spindle-bearings cavities have no bespoke drain, want removal of each sight-glass and drained though that. Or, for the rearmost one, removal of a cover plate, left, extreme rear, close to the casting lip.

That cover also makes it easier to get crud out of the cavity at initial cleaning. Sadly, the front one is not similarly blessed.

Bill

So you remove a sight glass and the oil runs down the lathe?Onto the floor???

F**k NO!

Manners, mate!

A 10EE is too haughty and well brought-up for any such indignity.

Supposed to hang the 10EE off the overhead on her side first, use an ordinary bedpan, and keep the old girl's modesty intact by holding the bedclothes over her curvaceous bod.

:)

Given the shop windows are all blacked-out, I just cheat, use shop towels and kitty-litter, give her fresh lube to ease embarrassment. 10EE are right insistent about their greedy little drinking habits.

My anti-gravity machine runs the 'lectric bill up too much to use all that often. That's reserved for ZF 6-speeds that shipped to Jaguar without dipsticks or even proper fill-ports.

Bill

Lol...hey Bill,if you make a deal on that 10ee lathe in Allentown and need a hand loading,let me know.I`m near Easton.

Many thanks, but I am HOPING someone who NEEDS it to earn his crust grabs it first. Its cousin behind it as well.

I hadn't planned either of the two 10EE I already have as 'grave goods', but if I don't soon sort the shop A/C and get back to work on them I won't even have indoor storage space.

:(

So you remove a sight glass and the oil runs down the lathe?Onto the floor???

Before you open her up, some modeling clay or plumbers putty can be used to form a spout below the sight glass. For flushing and similar activity, you can install a one hole stopper, with a tube.

Before you open her up, some modeling clay or plumbers putty can be used to form a spout below the sight glass. For flushing and similar activity, you can install a one hole stopper, with a tube.

Not to forget, there is only meant to be around 3 ounces of lube in each. Check the manual before refill. They are not identical, the sight-glass does not respond instantly, and over-fill is not wanted any more than running too low.

Not really a big deal.

Flushing is another critter, worth a tube or at least a taped-on diverter into the chip pan.

Bill

Back