What's new
What's new

10ee oil specs

Mike J.

Plastic
What oil(s) should be used in the different gear boxes of a 10ee? My backgear box is low along with the other sight glassed resevoirs.

Thank You, I posted this question just as I was leaving for a vacation cruise. Just got back and wanted to say thanks, the references are very helpfull

From the lack of a response I was wondering if I was shouting into a well :D

Anyway, a decent industrial supplier should be able to get you a gallon each of the oils, but the initial load will use up most of the heavy-medium in the gearbox and backgear and a lot of spindle oil in the headstock. After the load most usage will be in the way oil. My local supplier doesn't have gallons so I have 5 gallon pails of most everything.

Just ordered from McMaster the three oils needed. Vactra #2 way oil, Mobile DTE grade 68(medium heavy) and Mobile DTE grade 32(light). Thanks again for the help.

DTE grade 32(light).
I spoke to a petroleum chemist at Mobil after I bought my first 10EE. I asked him what was the modern equivalent to the various Vactra oils listed by name in the 1942 owners handbook. He said, what is the make and model of the lathe, and explained that Mobil maintains a list of manufacturer recommendations. Anyway, the mfrs recommendation for the spindle bearings/headstock on a 10EE is DTE24. I bought 5 gal. and it does fine, keeps its level for a couple of days steady use.

Dave

The Copymatic tracer on the Lodge & Shipley I had used DTE light oil. L&S recomended that the oil be first filtered to 5 microns before recharging the tank. On account of the precision 6way valve.
I got in the habit of doing that on the EE, It cant hurt.

Okay I give up! Where the heck is the drain plug on my lathe?

CW16 x 60, 1943 model, manual from Monarch says between end gearing cover and belt guard. There is no drain plug there that I can find.

Do you have to pull the gears to get to it.

Also on the oil, will the same as the 10EE specs work?

Harry,

Thanks. Found it, I was expecting a protruding bolt head or square like a pipe plug, missed the flush mount job. Bet it has been a while since that plug has been out, paint about covered it up.

So much for the $50 manual, wasn't even close.

The links in this old reply are not working now. Result is a page that says "Forbidden". Any chance new links could be posted?

Thanks,

Rick

Something is wrong with those links from the get-go.

Lemme logout and go do a deep-dive into the old "thermite" folders and see if I can find better ones that work.

If that fails, I have the info buried 'deeply' somewhere within my bloated 'Shop notes' files on local HDD.

Back "shortly".

No joy. I had not saved them in the first place, so do not know if better ones might work.

I did have this extract copied to local HDD. It is for ROUND DIAL 10EE:

View attachment 196341

I make the spindle bearing capacity 3 Oz. front, 4 Oz. rear or thereabouts. One fills to center of sight-glass, regardless, so "whatever it holds it holds".

Go slow. Do not OVER fill, as it would then churn and try to foam.

ISTR the Square dial combined center HS and QC gearbox fill & drain, one or two fewer sight glasses, but that lube choice was never as critical as the spindle bearings to begin with.

The Copymatic tracer on the Lodge & Shipley I had used DTE light oil. L&S recomended that the oil be first filtered to 5 microns before recharging the tank. On account of the precision 6way valve.
I got in the habit of doing that on the EE, It cant hurt.

Good idea! What do you use to filter the oil?

Here are two threads with discussions about oil that cover just about everything:
Cal

Good idea! What do you use to filter the oil?

Here are two threads with discussions about oil that cover just about everything:

AFAIK, Donie went off and put his life back together - hopefully rather well.

I find a ton of filters for Diesel and Fuel-oil and picky hydraulic uses can be found down to even ONE Micron for common spin-on housings, ebay and 'the usual suspects'. At least 'usual' for those who have periodic 'polishing' of stored Diesel fuel to do.

Gravity, rather than the powered pumps we use for high-gallonage Diesel tankage should do the do for a goodly supply for a 10EE whilst off in a corner.

However.. I don't see that 'virgin container', gallon or less, use once-only Mobil lubes need any more care than cleaning the container before each opening, keeping stored containers and funnels or wotever clean and double-bagged. Working off a 55 gal drum? Perhaps even a 5 gal pail? THEN you might want to filter.

IOW - greater risk of dirt from handling and filling than risk that the refinery bottled it dirty. A filter could add post-filtering risk greater than the benefit if not handled with utmost care.

The information provided in your attachment is correct. I received confirmation directly from Monarch today. They sent a copy of a manual page on lubrication with equivalents hand written in some sections. What I received is attached. Handwriting is a little hard to read.

Rick

EE Lubricants_Page_1.jpgEE Lubricants_Page_2.jpg

Back