What's new
What's new

10ee tailstock height differences

eglicomet

Plastic
Howdy folks,
With the huge help of Cal I got my '43 round dial going on the original MG drive. The previous owner gave me what he thought was the original tailstock however it's the taller version. My question is this: is the difference between the two tailstocks simply the lower casting that rests on the ways?
Anyone have a low height version that they want to swap for a tall version?
Thank you,
Alex Puls
Oyster Bay, NY

Howdy folks,
With the huge help of Cal I got my '43 round dial going on the original MG drive. The previous owner gave me what he thought was the original tailstock however it's the taller version. My question is this: is the difference between the two tailstocks simply the lower casting that rests on the ways?
Thank you,
Alex Puls
Oyster Bay, NY

AFAIK, yes, only the 'shoe' was raised.

That said, you may be better-off with what you have.

Let's see what others have to say.

My view is that if you re-fit the bottom of the lower casting to the bed, and then mill and scrape the top of it to match the bottom of the upper casting, AND do it with care, to place the bore where it belongs.....you will not have to shim.

The only way to avoid a shim with a 'low height' TS base casting would be to start with a raw or semi-finished casting, not a worn one.

This is timely. I have a complete low height tailstock that is apart that I will gladly give you if you pay for shipping. Somebody had installed a screw on shim between the upper and lower to make it work for a later machine. The only rub is that I just got out of the hospital and it might be a week or two to get it shipped.

Thank you,
Alex Puls
Oyster Bay, NY

This is timely. I have a complete low height tailstock that is apart that I will gladly give you if you pay for shipping. Somebody had installed a screw on shim between the upper and lower to make it work for a later machine. The only rub is that I just got out of the hospital and it might be a week or two to get it shipped.

I have a low-height with a damaged upper - nose was broken off and WELDED, not brazed, back on.

I might be happy to buy Alex's TS if y'all are going to do that, which should (at least) cover ALL of the shipping involved.

Yes, please! I shall send you a PM shortly. Thank you and get well!

I have a low-height with a damaged upper - nose was broken off and WELDED, not brazed, back on.

I might be happy to buy Alex's TS if y'all are going to do that, which should (at least) cover ALL of the shipping involved.

I shall be in touch! We can make that work.

Good grief, all this good will and things workin out in the end for everyone, somebody just start singin Kumbaya why don't ya!
Where's John Welden when you need him?

Back