10EE tube drive not running - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a thread by posted I believe by "monarchist" stating the merits of retaining the tube drive system my machine has. I read it rather quickly planning to go back and reread it and check out the links he'd referenced. Unfortunately it is gone. If he or someone would care to comment on when it is time to move on to a VFD conversion that would be most helpful. I know there are a number of folk on this forum who could fix my machine and keep it running longer than I'll be around but trying to guide me trough what to do from a distance isn't going to be a slippery road to go down. I just don't have the electronic knowledge to follow what many are trying to tell me. It's been tough for my brother to trouble shoot from 600 miles away and he is much more comfortable with VFD drives then the tube system. Thanks for your continued help. All the best, Don Hansen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you tell us the position of the 5A fuse, preferably with a photo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lathe-wiring-2-001.jpgfuse.jpglathe-wiring-2-002.jpgAttached is a photo where the 5A fuse goes and a copy of the wiring diagram that came from Monarch for my specific lathe. The picture of where the fuse resides is located on the right side of the machine below the tail stock. Hope this information helps. Thanks, Don Hansen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donhansen View Post
    lathe-wiring-2-001.jpgAttached is a photo where the 5A fuse goes and a copy of the wiring diagram that came from Monarch for my specific lathe. The picture of where the fuse resides is located on the right side of the machine below the tail stock. Hope this information helps. Thanks, Don Hansen.

Dang, it's a modular drive and not a WiaD. No wonder I couldn't ID the fuse.

Very likely some wire is shorted to the chassis in one of the passthoughs. PITA to isolate, but sometimes you're lucky in just looking at the wire where it goes through. Just moving the wiring around and putting grommet material on the chassis can isolate the short if you don't find it.

Here's the troubleshooting list from the modular manual in case it is needed:

5. Likes thermite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That must be one of the first 59's with a Modular Drive?

7. Likes thermite liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

looking at the manual for the modular lathe there are two 5 amp fusses I am guessing it is the one that powers the relays and the fan if you have replaced the fusses and it blows again I would disconnect the fan and try again. 5 amp fusses are cheap compared to a 3 HP 3 ph motor that you will need for a vfd. Another thing is if that is the fuses that blows you will need to find the short as that circuit is needed for the VFD power also.

9. Likes MikeS-54, thermite liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by daryl bane View Post
    That must be one of the first 59's with a Modular Drive?
    I wonder when in 59' the machine was built. There are two square-dial 10EEs here in town, built a few months apart in 1960. One is a WiaD and the other a Modular drive.

Cal

11. Likes thermite liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    I wonder when in 59' the machine was built. There are two square-dial 10EEs here in town, built a few months apart in 1960. One is a WiaD and the other a Modular drive.

Cal
    I'd bet there is no firm cutoff by date or S/N - only a record as to the last-ever MG or Wiad shipped, brand-new, not refurbished.

We've already seen that Monarch had to shift priorities during wartime - external command, not their choosing.

Safe bet they also shifted priorities by customer and overall order size / value during peacetime. Most any manufacturer has to do that, and not all that seldom.

Then, too, we have evidence that MG's "at least" were built quite late where a customer already equipped with a line of them wished to maintain spares and method of operating unmixed on a newly added machine or few, rather than blend-in the newer technology.

Overlaps in type can accordingly be many years long.