What's new
What's new

10EE Vertical decorative strips and cover materials

CowDriver

Aluminum
It appears that, over time, Monarch changed the finish and/or material on the decorative vertical strips on the various covers. I see some photos where they are painted the same as the rest of the lathe. However, some have brightly polished strips. Are they polished aluminum or plated steel?

I have also seen references to the covers being aluminum, while others refer to cast iron.

In what years of the 10EE production did Monarch use which material and finish on the strips and covers? Did they ever use a contrasting paint color on the strips?

For those people who have done a complete repaint job, how did you finish your strips? What do you think looks best?

On mine (33309, 11/1950), the covers are cast iron and the vertical strips are steel (cast iron?), painted the same gray as the covers.

Alan

My 11/1945 has the cast iron ones. I had just assumed they were always aluminum, but quickly found out I was wrong. I kinda wish mine were aluminum, but hey...mine must be the heavy duty original style! 💩

(Insert smiley here, since I'm typing on an iPhone)

I thought the war era machines were made with cast iron on order to save the aluminum for airplanes and such.
Also they didn't chrome anything.

It looks like the earliest 10EE lathes had the bright-finish vertical strips. Here is a photo of one with the Sundstrand drive (S/N 7153), which would make it 1939 or so:

33195d1302144290-looking-10ee-ee7153_02.jpg

I also found a photo of #36216 (09/1951), which has the painted strips. No idea of the material.

Mine had painted cast bars but two were cracked. I made aluminum ones to replace and shined them up..

It appears that, over time, Monarch changed the finish and/or material on the decorative vertical strips on the various covers.

Regardless of material, not ALL are entirely 'decorative'. In some locations, they are part of a venting system that also (attempts to) prevent chip entry into the slots behind/under them. Directly, anyway.

For anyone making new or re-fitting old, I'd rate the choice of material and finish as less important than the task of insuring enough 'stand off' to not impair whatever Monarch considered proper air-flow, yet not so much as to let any more fine chips bounce in than do already.

JM2CW

Bill

Modular machines have aluminum strips. If you are missing any fairly easy job to make replacements out of aluminum bar stock. No big deal to place washers on the back side to duplicate the factory stand off. If your missing all of them I (or others I'm sure) can get you the stand off dimension etc.

To be honest I still have not put the outer radius up at the spindle on the two outside trim pieces - low priority task.
Paul

Not sure if mine are CI or steel, but heavily chromed, 1941. I'm missing a few and have started making replacements from stainless flat stock, face one side, corner round the edges. I figure I can polish the glam side and it will sort of match. JinNJ

Not sure if mine are CI or steel, but heavily chromed, 1941. I'm missing a few and have started making replacements from stainless flat stock, face one side, corner round the edges. I figure I can polish the glam side and it will sort of match. JinNJ

Stainless? Wow, that's really going fancy! :)

It's beginning to look like the pre-war machines had steel (or cast iron) vertical strips, chromed.

Then, during the war years and for some time after, they painted the strips (still steel or cast iron). Did the switch occur with the change from round dial to square dial?

Finally (with the introduction of the modular machines?) they switched to polished aluminum.

If anyone can flesh out the timeline, I would appreciate it. What did your machine come with?

Someday, after I have done everything else to my 1950 square dial, I might have my strips chromed. But that's real low priority. :)

1952 MG machine, original strips were cast aluminum, not polished, they were painted. I made all new ones from 6061 bar stock and polished them. The covers are all cast aluminum.

The original strips were not located well so plugged all the tapped holes in the covers and positioned the new strips and new ring around the spindle more precisely and put new tapped holes where I needed them.

Back