What's new
What's new

10EE - Wanted - Parts

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Looking for a head stock side carriage Vee wiper holder and an apron lever. ( for engaging the power on cross and carriage feeds )

Email or PM me if you have something. Thanks.

Looking for a head stock side carriage Vee wiper holder and an apron lever. ( for engaging the power on cross and carriage feeds )

Email or PM me if you have something. Thanks.

Early 10EE wiper holders WERE CI - later ones shiney-wood. Above my present pay-grade to be aware WHEN they changed, or if they are fully interchangeable size and shape-wise.

But you mought want to specify which you have - or seek.

Bill

Early 10EE wiper holders WERE CI - later ones shiney-wood. Above my present pay-grade to be aware WHEN they changed, or if they are fully interchangeable size and shape-wise. But you mought want to specify which you have - or seek.
Bill

Hi Bill, You are likely correct. I've an early Round Dial with Cast Iron holders, indeed. The main ( larger ) piece is all present and accounted for, but the smaller, straight leg that is attached with a screw is absent. The main issue is that the screw and dowel pin ( .032" ? ) are still present, as well. :angry:

The remaining portion of screw, itself is little consequence to deal with. But the snapped, almost flush .032" pin would be much more aggravating. So, I thought to simply replace the whole, choosing one's battles as it were. :)

The handle can be almost any of them as far as I know and will be getting murdified highly, to boot. So I can't imagine that it will matter.

And as long as I'm filling one hand with wishes... a tail stock locking lever would be great too. Sinter Klaus seems to have forgotten one for me. Got the lump'o'coal, though... :rolleyes5:

thought to simply replace the whole, choosing one's battles as it were. :)
Don't look MY direction as to 'battles', then.

I've been ratholing Nickel Aluminium Bronze to make meself a set of new wiper mounts, knobs, and levers.

A 'round tuit' set was gifted to me years ago as well, but has long-since gone walkabout, thereby setting back the onset of a new 'Bronze Age'.. and a whole lot of other things... advancing age unfortunately not among them....

Bill

Zahnrad, I have lots of the aluminum way wipe covers, but none made of cast iron. That despite having parted out two round dial machines over the years. Those seem to be the parts that first disappear.

While on the topic, you probably already know this, but the small piece on the bottom of the vee way wipe cover, that is missing, is not hard to make if you have another to copy. It has a slot to hold a small felt wipe that keeps the bottom side of the bed clean in line with the ball bearing gibs, so the carriage doesn't get jammed by chips. I doubt that there are many still serving that purpose effectively, since once the lathe bed or cross slide wear or get reground, the dimension from Vee-way top to bottom decreases. How many rebuilders decrease the height of the v-way cover when the bed gets reground? Also, that felt wiper is often missing or worn down to nothing on lathes I have worked on over the years.

-Dave

Zahnrad, I have lots of the aluminum way wipe covers, but none made of cast iron. That despite having parted out two round dial machines over the years. Those seem to be the parts that first disappear.
While on the topic, you probably already know this, but the small piece on the bottom of the vee way wipe cover, that is missing, is not hard to make if you have another to copy. It has a slot to hold a small felt wipe that keeps the bottom side of the bed clean in line with the ball bearing gibs, so the carriage doesn't get jammed by chips. I doubt that there are many still serving that purpose effectively, since once the lathe bed or cross slide wear or get reground, the dimension from Vee-way top to bottom decreases. How many rebuilders decrease the height of the v-way cover when the bed gets reground? Also, that felt wiper is often missing or worn down to nothing on lathes I have worked on over the years.
-Dave

Dave - Thanks for responding and weighing in. I'll check my covers in a little bit when I get to the shop. I just finished installing the ball oilers in the flat wiper covers last week, so know for certain that they are CI, but I did not consider to discriminate the Vee wiper covers. You may well be correct.

Yes, I do realize that the flat part is easy to replace with something shop made. My reservation comes from the Vee cover itself, bearing the sheared pin and screw. As I wrote above, the screw is easy enough to machine out, but that pin would be a hassle. It is not that it is not able to be accomplished. Rather, it is an evaluation of the value of spending the time to do so versus purchasing a replacement. :)

You raise an excellent point with regard to the height and fit of them, though and I will make sure to inspect them after the grinding and Moglicing. Thank you!

If I find that my cover is Aluminum, I'll grab one from you so let me know how much it is and let me know if you have the handle I am seeking as well.

Thanks!

Dave - Thanks for responding and weighing in. I'll check my covers in a little bit when I get to the shop. I just finished installing the ball oilers in the flat wiper covers last week, so know for certain that they are CI, but I did not consider to discriminate the Vee wiper covers. You may well be correct.

Hi Zahnrad, I wasn't saying aluminum are correct for your lathe. I am sure it came with cast iron covers if it is a round dial. The aluminum covers will fit but won't look right. All I was saying is that the cast iron covers are in short supply, they are often missing or broken. The aluminum covers don't break.

Back