What's new
What's new

12CK - Worth it or not?

DuaneB

Plastic
Hello everyone,

I ran across this Monarch 12CK on CL, and took look at it. It's been abused, but is it worth saving. If so, what value would you put on it?

It has two handles that were broke and welded back on, poorly I might add.

I think there is little to no oil in the headstock. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif

The ID tag looks like it was painted black, then rubbed with 60 grit sand paper to reveal it's numbers, nearly impossible to read.

The sight window(???)to the right of the ID tag has a hole in it. View attachment 180961

There is a chunk of housing missing above the Upper compound lever. View attachment 180968

There is a good bit of play in the Apron handwheel, before the Apron moves. Can this be adjusted?

The Crossfeed handle has a good bit of play, as well.

The Crossfeed way is very scored. View attachment 180969

The Compound rest has been run into the chuck many times. Scored cross slide way.jpg

The Bed way has a score in it about 18" long. I have a picture, but you can't see the score due to flash glare. Didn't know it at the time.

For the most part, it has sat in the current owner's garage/shop for about 5 years with little use. But it has been used (with the little to no oil in the headstock.

I have a few more pictures, if needed.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks!
Duane

Hello everyone,

I ran across this Monarch 12CK on CL, and took look at it. It's been abused, but is it worth saving. If so, what value would you put on it?

It has two handles that were broke and welded back on, poorly I might add.

I think there is little to no oil in the headstock. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif

The ID tag looks like it was painted black, then rubbed with 60 grit sand paper to reveal it's numbers, nearly impossible to read.

The sight window(???)to the right of the ID tag has a hole in it. View attachment 180961

There is a chunk of housing missing above the Upper compound lever. View attachment 180968

There is a good bit of play in the Apron handwheel, before the Apron moves. Can this be adjusted?

The Crossfeed handle has a good bit of play, as well.

The Crossfeed way is very scored. View attachment 180969

The Compound rest has been run into the chuck many times. View attachment 180970

The Bed way has a score in it about 18" long. I have a picture, but you can't see the score due to flash glare. Didn't know it at the time.

For the most part, it has sat in the current owner's garage/shop for about 5 years with little use. But it has been used (with the little to no oil in the headstock.

I have a few more pictures, if needed.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks!
Duane

Fair wear and tear is one thing. Abuse is sumthin' else.

Too expensive even if it were delivered, free, to your driveway.

Plenty of affordable lathes, Monarch included, in better overall condition, one-day plus an overnight out and back, and DIY trailerable, off where you sit in NC.

JM2CW

Bill

The pics aren't loading for me.

A loose carriage handwheel is a sign of bed wear.

To do a quick and dirty check, grab a vee block and 2 mics (0-1" and 2-3" IIRC). Mark the bed incrementally every 3" or so from the tailstock end working towards the headstock. Take (4) readings at each point (carriage vee/flat, tailstock vee/flat). The overall thickness is moot, you're looking for change as you progress towards the, typically, busier end of the lathe.

This makes no accommodation for geometry changes in the vees, but it does provide some insight into how much wear exists. How much you can tolerate is up to you, but 0.005" wou;d be the extreme end of what I'd want.

There are quite a few of these (or equivalent machines) out there that are in pretty decent shape for $1.5-3k. So I'm with Bill, free is probably too expensive for one than has been beat on.

A loose carriage handwheel is a sign of bed wear.

And carriage saddle - which is designed to wear more

Basically the carriage assembly is enough LOWER than it SHOULD BE to cause the rack pinion to fall away from the rack gear

Plenty of affordable lathes, Monarch included, in better overall condition, one-day plus an overnight out and back, and DIY trailerable, off where you sit in NC.

JM2CW

Bill

I don't mind driving a little, even an over-night trip if need be, to get a good one. Would like a Monarch, but any GOOD one will do. Not asking you to do my work for me, but could you enlighten me as to some of the good one's you speak of?

Thanks.

I don't mind driving a little, even an over-night trip if need be, to get a good one. Would like a Monarch, but any GOOD one will do. Not asking you to do my work for me, but could you enlighten me as to some of the good one's you speak of?

Thanks.

First - work-envelope.

A 10EE's can be so close to 12XX, that unless the 12XX has a significantly longer bed you might want the 10EE for its wider RPM range.

If both are at least 'sometimes' too limiting, then a 16XX or 60/61 might be your better choice.

Examples of both 10EE and 16XX have crossed the radar here on PM fairly recently - locations in MD and PA.

Here's one you could see running:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...rch-10ee-sale-325490-post2837378/#post2837378

Bill

Back