What's new
What's new

14" Monarch carriage stiffness when feed screw turning

Torquin

Aluminum
My 14" Monarch's carriage gets very stiff to move in Z when I have the feed screw turning. If I put the feed screw in neutral, or stop the spindle, the carriage frees up and moves with one finger. The feeds, both Z and Y, work just fine, as does the directional control built into the apron. The oil level is fine, and, in fact, a bit too high. It's almost as if the clutch is partially engaged, but it is hard to move toward or away from the headstock, so that makes me think it is not a feed clutch problem.
This is quite annoying because it makes the feed speed gears difficult/impossible to change while the feed screw is turning. If the carriage feed is disengaged, even though the feed screw is turning, everything should be free in the carriage.

Any ideas of what to check?

Thanks,
Chris

Loosen up apron clutches until no longer draggy with feed rod turning

See top of page for INSTRUCTIONS under APRON FRICTIONS

Attachments

• 12CK Manual006_19.jpg
    12CK Manual006_19.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 128
I will have to look into that. Thanks for the diagram, but the 14" is nothing like my 12CK, what your diagram describes. I have contacted Monarch to see if I can get all manuals available for this 14".

Thanks,
Chris

Likely a good idea to max out information on 14 that you are asking about?

Since the 12CK in your "signature" is actually a 14 1/2 it was easy to assume that was what you were referring to

I will have to look into that. Thanks for the diagram, but the 14" is nothing like my 12CK, what your diagram describes. I have contacted Monarch to see if I can get all manuals available for this 14".

Thanks,
Chris

Chris

I sent to Monarch and ordered the 12 CK manual for $75.00 at the time. There is not enough info in it to make it worth buying.

I thought the 10EE manuals were well worth the money.

Hal

Likely a good idea to max out information on 14 that you are asking about?

Since the 12CK in your "signature" is actually a 14 1/2 it was easy to assume that was what you were referring to

I understand. I was going to update my sig, but couldn't find where to do it yesterday and didn't have long to look for it. Here it is. Garage too cramped right now to get better pic.
2016-11-24 09.21.55.jpg

And the Jet I just purchased, if I can find a place to put it.
2016-11-26 08.58.42.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

Look on the 14 and get serial - will be on both head stock tag and stamped on right end of bed. When you have the serial, call Monarch and get a manual - then you can adjust the apron clutches. Its a series 60

Back