What's new
What's new

1942 10ee lead screw wear

I recently purchased a 1942 ee and as I've been going over it and cleaning I noticed that the lead screw has worn the acme thread to a "sharp" thread about 6" in the middle. Will this have an effect on threading or should I be looking for a new lead screw? My ways where covered in dried up grease and seem fine after cleaning but I'm guessing the saddle was riding up and over the grease for a extended period and wore the saddle. Time will tell

I recently purchased a 1942 ee and as I've been going over it and cleaning I noticed that the lead screw has worn the acme thread to a "sharp" thread about 6" in the middle.

That.... is about as bad as I have heard of.

I have a spare. Worn, but not badly so, as it is from a total part-out, not replacement, and wear is far more even.

PM or email me.

Bill

Just two very small cents here. This is a difficult problem to remedy. I was in this same predicament many years ago, when a pristine leadscrew and half nuts came up and bit me in the leg, very lucky!! But I had pondered the problem long and hard , and the only thing I could come up with, is find a place that specialized in Acme threaded rod, and get either something off the shelf ( I don't remember what the pitch is of the Monarch) or have it made. Cut the end off of the worn leadscrew and graft it on to the new one. That is the easy part. For the halfnuts, I would call Devitt Machinery, and see if they could recommend a Moglice or ? for this repair. I am not going to go into the procedure, you can research it, but as a last resort, this might be the ticket. I love the stuff, but this might be an iffy application, epoxies don't like shear so much, but they (Devitt) have alot more experience than I do.

not going to go into the procedure, you can research it, but as a last resort, this might be the ticket. I love the stuff, but this might be an iffy application, epoxies don't like shear so much,

I'd use Babbitt rather than epoxy if I had to do that. Shear isn't the issue so long as there are at least 'vestigial' ribs of the original threads left buried IN the Babbitt (or epoxy) as anchors.

Wear from surface friction, 'arf nut to screw, would be more the lifespan limiter. Not much of a limiter, though. Not at the sort of use 10EE get now.

And I do have a serviceable 20" c-to-c round-dial leadscrew and nuts sitting spare anyway.

Only problematic if Matt's 10EE is one of the rare 30" c-to-c ones.

:)

I don't think they made 30" machines in 1942.

Hal

I doubt he has one, but yah never know...

Bed fits the base, same pads, cantilevered extension. Makes a nice upgrade.

Needs an extra rack section, longer leadscrew, longer surfacing driveshaft, not much else.

I had asked Scott if Monarch still had any left several YEARS too late after they offered a few - here on PM. All gone by then.

Even if you can find a new leadscrew (which I was lucky enough to do), there's still the problem of machining the taper-pin hole to match the holes in the gearbox output shaft. The taper pins tended to be drilled and reamed by hand, on the the machine, and are typically at odd angles and offsets. Here's a link that describes how I matched the hole in the new leadscrew with the original leadscrew:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...g-new-10ee-leadscrew-long-boring-post-157212/

Unfortunately (thanks to the good people at PhotoBucket) the photo links don't work, but I think the text will get you most of the way there.

Cal

Even if you can find a new leadscrew (which I was lucky enough to do), there's still the problem of machining the taper-pin hole to match the holes in the gearbox output shaft. The taper pins tended to be drilled and reamed by hand, on the the machine, and are typically at odd angles and offsets. Here's a link that describes how I matched the hole in the new leadscrew with the original leadscrew:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...g-new-10ee-leadscrew-long-boring-post-157212/

Unfortunately (thanks to the good people at PhotoBucket) the photo links don't work, but I think the text will get you most of the way there.

Cal

Actually, they can be MADE to work. JST showed the way. Right-click, open in new tab.

Optionally save each to your own HDD. I added "CAL_LS_" to the Photobucket file-names.

Here they are, now stored on PM's server:

View attachment 205302View attachment 205303View attachment 205304View attachment 205305View attachment 205306

Now.. as a Moderator, if you edit the original post and swap-in PM's DB "attach..." object ID codes where the Photobucket links sat, they should appear in that thread without need of a second upload.

"WE" - Monarch-interest community - have a lot of that sort of work to do if our "How To" threads are to be of ongoing value.

As just illustrated, a (group of) volunteer(s) can assist as to recovering, preserving, and making-ready for back-migration of the raw material without THEIR being in need of Moderator privileges.

"many hands..." and we can get ourselves into better shape as to making sure we don't LOSE these, even if not yet put-back-right..... BEFORE Photobucket does something even more rude.

Cleanup can then proceed as time is available..

Thank you all for the input. Lots of great ideas. I've been reading up on moglice and tercite, not necessarily for this application, I'm guessing my saddle is going to need attention and I will probably go that route.

Thanks Bill. I edited the leadscrew thread to use the PM hosted images. For some reason, one came in as thumbnail and the rest as inline images. Close enough.

I'm not able to get the right-click and save trick to work with PhotoBucket. (Undoubtedly some difference in my browser setup.) When I do it, I still get the some "update your account" icon and no image.

Cal

Thanks Bill. I edited the leadscrew thread to use the PM hosted images. For some reason, one came in as thumbnail and the rest as inline images. Close enough.

I'm not able to get the right-click and save trick to work with PhotoBucket. (Undoubtedly some difference in my browser setup.) When I do it, I still get the some "update your account" icon and no image.

Cal

Looks good! Perhaps we can get back to "normal" after all!

Were you logged-in?

I have no account, but got the same thing when I inadvertently tried to do one of them a second time.

My guess from those two indicators is that a "stranger" can RMB to get the photo, but a Photobucket "subscriber" gets intercepted to the "hook" instead.

As to thumbnail or not, I'm sure we can sort that so long as there is a photo.

Page TWO:

This will not help us recover photos - Photobucket or other - where the ACCOUNT either had edit changes that broke the links AND/OR just went dark before the latest Photobucket issue.

I'm sure there will be some ideas as to how to manage that, too.

Back