What's new
What's new

1944 Model EE lathe, sn 25538. Cost to update?

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
I have a July, 1944 10EE lathe that is original. Still has the DC generator motor and all, runs a 3phase 220v motor to power the generator. I have 3 phase available so that is just fine.

It works, it turns parts, but it won't spin up to full speed, it loses torque at lower speeds when you are in a heavy cut and it throws sparks like the 4th of july.

I have neither the knowledge, determination, time nor desire to work on this machine, but I do need to have an engine lathe around here for non-production items.

Any idea what the straight up cost would range to take this to a re-builder and have them tear out all that old stuff and put in a different motor and controller? It is a nice lathe, I love to use it, but it needs help.

I'm not sure if I should try to sell this and buy something else or what.

Opinions?

Yup. Order a full set of brushes from Monarch. They don't cost very much. Get an electrician in there who knows how to install brushes in a DC motor, dress a commutator, etc. It's about an hour job to replace all the brushes for someone who knows what they're doing. Then the machine will run like a top for years to come (depending on how many hours a year you use it).

Cal

the indirect answer to your thread is as follows:
a Beel dc drive replacement will cost about $2000. Thats a cardin your hand you either have to install yourself or pay someone to install.

ripping it all out to go ac- anywhere from $3k to 10k depending on how much you do yourself

for what its worth the mg's are the most robust long term IMHO- I'd get somebody smarter than you electrically to help you with it, and here is a good place to start( I want to add that I am not that smart electircally).

the indirect answer to your thread is as follows:
a Beel dc drive replacement will cost about $2000. Thats a cardin your hand you either have to install yourself or pay someone to install.

ripping it all out to go ac- anywhere from $3k to 10k depending on how much you do yourself

for what its worth the mg's are the most robust long term IMHO- I'd get somebody smarter than you electrically to help you with it, and here is a good place to start( I want to add that I am not that smart electircally).
And know that WILLEO6709 owns and operates machines with each of these drives, in a real live working machine shop, so he knows what he's talking about.

Cal

And know that WILLEO6709 owns and operates machines with each of these drives, in a real live working machine shop, so he knows what he's talking about.

Cal

current count:
1960 ish square dial toolroom ac vector drive ( lever 5c closer )
1959 ish square dial mg toolroom( 4 jaw )
1962 ish 10EE turret lathe beel drive ( lever 5c closer )
1943 ish mg round dial ( 3 jaw )

thats just running- have a parts carcass air gage tracer and a MG not under power.

for what you'll spend in conversion you are money ahead to try and get the mg working first, with no sacrifice in performance.

Back