What's new
What's new

1963 Rivett 1020F

This is my new lathe, I will get better pics, but for now these pics came from the seller's phone. I gave a deposit a couple weeks ago, but just picked up the lathe and workbench today.

I hope to get it in my garage next week, but have it on my flatbed at my yard with a tarp on it until next week.

Got a fair bit of tooling with it, has the accumulator dial on it, 2 steady rests (one large, one small), 2 8" buck chucks (both 3-jaw), 1 6" buck with a backing plate that needs to be added to it, several jaws for each 8" and 6" (inside and outside), taper attachment, spindle nose, what looks to be a full set of collets (71 pieces), collet lever, an Aloris tool post, a Phase III post, several tool holders (some Aloris, some Phase III), 12" slotted face plate, 10" dog plate, wrenches, and other chatchka tooling...there are 11 2J collets in the deal also, index cutters, boring bar, a couple small machinist vises (one Jacob, and some other). All in all, a fair bit of kit.

Came with the 1020F/1030F manual which I will be scanning for Greg to post on the Rivett Lathe site. I also have the 1020F brochure (a scan, so quality is so-so) and a parts list for Stearns Magnetic Disc Brakes. That is from 1961.

Now the odd thing, the machine is dated 1963, but the manual from Leland Gifford has the serial number of the lathe and the model, and stamped by Leland Gifford, but dated September 1st, 1967.

Serial number 441. Has the newer electronic tachometer and 13-1/2" swing rather than 12-1/2" as the 1020S. Since my manual is for the 1020F/1030F it has the diagrams for the accessories of the 1020F/1030F also, like taper attachment, stead rest, follower rest, etc...and the larger swing of course.

(linky pic to photo Gallery)

(Apologies for the poor pics, from the seller's phone and last one is my daughter's camera which I don't know how to use. Better pics to come.)

Attachments

• rivett-1020f-1.jpg
    rivett-1020f-1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 917
BTW, as you will see, some of the chucks have mounting plates for the Monarch 10EE. I'm not sure if I will sell/trade or just make new mounting plates. There is a spindle nose for a Monarch also.

Unfortunately the seller got the tooling after disgruntled employees had their pick, and after all machines were shipped to Mexico. The Hershey plant closed in 2008. The seller moved most of the machinery for Hershey to Mexico. He said all the tooling drawers were packed to the gills at Hershey...all in all I can't be picky and have a great lathe with a good amount of tooling as-is. Hershey was going to keep this for themselves, but evidentally didn't know what to do with it, so sold it to the person I bought it from. He was going to keep it and it's been in storage since he got it about 4 years ago.

He wasn't sure if they had more Rivetts, but they had quite a few Monarch 10EEs and some of the tooling I have was from them.

You're in the same boat I am, and what a sweet boat it is! I have had my 1030F, #536, for a few months now.

I finished my conversion to VFD, so if you're planning that I might have some suggestions. The motor brake is an issue, it has to be deactivated (my choice) or the system redesigned.

My guess is that these machines were made closer to 1963 by Rivett, then warehoused at the acquisition and sold later by Leland-Gifford. Just a guess, though. Mine says 1968.

You're in the same boat I am, and what a sweet boat it is! I have had my 1030F, #536, for a few months now.

I finished my conversion to VFD, so if you're planning that I might have some suggestions. The motor brake is an issue, it has to be deactivated (my choice) or the system redesigned.

My guess is that these machines were made closer to 1963 by Rivett, then warehoused at the acquisition and sold later by Leland-Gifford. Just a guess, though. Mine says 1968.
rusty,

I saw the pics if you putting it in your basement, yours may be a tad cleaner, but this lathe I bought is pretty clean.

I have the brochure for the 1020F xerox'd and it has a pic of the tool cabinet that Rivett sold. You must have gotten that.

I have to sort out my tooling and figure out what is Monarch and what is Rivett.

I have a 7-1/2HP RPC in my garage which I run all my 3-phase on, I don't know if I will use it or not. I also have a 3-5HP static converter, but don't think I want to run this lathe on static. My current plan is to run it off the RPC.

Note that my lathe doesn't have the tray on top of the headstock cover, so maybe your theory about Leland Gifford wharehousing them at acquisition could have merit...given that my build date seems to differ from the date in my manual.

Traditional-tools,
In your tool picture number one in the lower left hand corner it looks like a Monarch Multi Start Adapter, if it is I would be interested in it if you decide to sell it.
Thanks, Kevin.

Traditional-tools,
In your tool picture number one in the lower left hand corner it looks like a Monarch Multi Start Adapter, if it is I would be interested in it if you decide to sell it.
Thanks, Kevin.
Kevin,

I think there are two of them, at least they look similar. Is that the carriage stop that goes on the rod that goes through the carriage along the front ?

Your talking about the small piece on top of the D1-3 adapter plate, right? In the same pic, Tools 1, in the next compartment over on the top is another one.

I think these are the same, but I will need to check, they are down at my yard as I didn't bring those home.

Do they go on each side of the carriage? IOW, are they used in pairs ?

It's actually the D1-3 adapter, if it is just a chuck backplate then it is not what I thought it was.
Let me know when you get it home and get some more pics.
Thanks, Kevin.

It's actually the D1-3 adapter, if it is just a chuck backplate then it is not what I thought it was.
Let me know when you get it home and get some more pics.
Thanks, Kevin.
Yes, that D1-3 adapter fits the Buck 6" chuck, but the holes are not drilled for it. I will most likely fit one for the L0 on mine, or 1-1/2-8 for my little South Bend 9A.

1020F Brochure

I put a scan of a brochure on my drop box. It was xerox'd by Hershey and put with the manual. On the last page is the belt sizes for the lathes.

1020F Brochure at this link

Worth noting in the brochure are:

1) picture of the "Floor Cabinet" on the last page, looks like it holds a Kennedy on the front shelf.

2) Aloris is listed and advertised as an accessory.

This is my new lathe, I will get better pics, but for now these pics came from the seller's phone. I gave a deposit a couple weeks ago, but just picked up the lathe and workbench today.

I hope to get it in my garage next week, but have it on my flatbed at my yard with a tarp on it until next week.

Got a fair bit of tooling with it, has the accumulator dial on it, 2 steady rests (one large, one small), 2 8" buck chucks (both 3-jaw), 1 6" buck with a backing plate that needs to be added to it, several jaws for each 8" and 6" (inside and outside), taper attachment, spindle nose, what looks to be a full set of collets (71 pieces), collet lever, an Aloris tool post, a Phase III post, several tool holders (some Aloris, some Phase III), 12" slotted face plate, 10" dog plate, wrenches, and other chatchka tooling...there are 11 2J collets in the deal also, index cutters, boring bar, a couple small machinist vises (one Jacob, and some other). All in all, a fair bit of kit.

Came with the 1020F/1030F manual which I will be scanning for Greg to post on the Rivett Lathe site. I also have the 1020F brochure (a scan, so quality is so-so) and a parts list for Stearns Magnetic Disc Brakes. That is from 1961.

Now the odd thing, the machine is dated 1963, but the manual from Leland Gifford has the serial number of the lathe and the model, and stamped by Leland Gifford, but dated September 1st, 1967.

Serial number 441. Has the newer electronic tachometer and 13-1/2" swing rather than 12-1/2" as the 1020S. Since my manual is for the 1020F/1030F it has the diagrams for the accessories of the 1020F/1030F also, like taper attachment, stead rest, follower rest, etc...and the larger swing of course.

(linky pic to photo Gallery)

(Apologies for the poor pics, from the seller's phone and last one is my daughter's camera which I don't know how to use. Better pics to come.)

Traditional tools, The serial # on my 10x30 is 446 and has a build date of 12-18-62,if that helps.Also does your lathe have way inserts or cast in way's? Nice looking machine .

Those two V way clamps in "tools 1" picture are carriage stops, usually fitted with a micrometer. Also usually only one needed although someone may come up with a scenario to use one on both sides of the carriage.

Paul

Traditional tools, The serial # on my 10x30 is 446 and has a build date of 12-18-62,if that helps.Also does your lathe have way inserts or cast in way's? Nice looking machine .
This confuses me...your serial number is after mine (441) but your build date is '62. Mine has a build date almost a year after yours, and the manual that appears to be sent to Hershey was dated 1967. I wasn't sure if Hershey actually placed the order in '63 and took delivery in '67 or just what. Seems that the machines in progress when the Rivett company was acquired could have been sold off and finished up by Leland-Gifford. I will check the ways, not sure.

Those two V way clamps in "tools 1" picture are carriage stops, usually fitted with a micrometer. Also usually only one needed although someone may come up with a scenario to use one on both sides of the carriage.

Paul
Paul,

I think they are for a Monarch, but is there a way (unintentional pun there;-) I can measure it to know for certain it is? That is what I thought they were, as mentioned above.

Paul
Paul,

Here's better pics. In pic 1 you can see a part number. 2nd pic shows it disassembled, and would appear has an oil tube. Pic 3 shows the wedge corner, one of which is missing. Small allen screw holds that wedge in place.

Not even close to fitting on my lathe.

I have some type of stop/support that fits on the front of the ways. Do you know what it is for...see pic 4. Not sure what type of rod is supposed to go through the adapter.

Attachments

• carriage-stop-3.jpg
    carriage-stop-3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 656
  • carriage-stop-2.jpg
    carriage-stop-2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 573
  • carriage-stop-1.jpg
    carriage-stop-1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 628
  • rivett-carriage-stop.jpg
    rivett-carriage-stop.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 868
Also does your lathe have way inserts or cast in way's? Nice looking machine .
Here's a pic of the way at the head stock, I'm not sure by looking at it. The end has paint on it so it's not clear what is cast and what is hardened. Does this pic tell you anything? Looks like it's laying on top of the cast, but it's not clear if there is more mass buried in the casting or not.
rivett-way.jpg

After you get it running, you need to drain the waylube from the apron and refill with fresh before ensuring the pump works properly. The apron waylube is recirculating outside the apron and is very easy to contaminate. At least in the mid '50's, there was no intake filter on the way lube pump. The waylube pump is driven from the feed shaft, so if you use it without power feeding don't put the the feed shaft in neutral.

Yeah, I'm not using the compound at all until I can get power to it because of that. I do plan to drain and replace the oil.

Seems it needs a few different types, I have vactra #2 for the carriage, and I think I have some DTE Light, but I don't have any DTE Heavy. I'm going by the info at rivettlathe.com. Do you recommend different? No reason not to replace all the oils, IMO. I have a few odds and ends I need to fix. It is pretty clean but it has been sitting. The plastic cover on the threading dial is pretty hazy, and the plastic on the tachometer is loose, I need to look at that and make sure the needle has clearance.

Not clear to me about the spindle nose or if there is another piece I might be missing which covers the long taper and attaches to the L0. I do have one for a Monarch...:rolleyes5:

I also sheered off a metal backsplash, not sure if I will put it back but thinking to as it has the switch mounted on it. That got sheered off in transit.

I have some Monarch tooling, with D1-3 mounts. I haven't decided if I sell them or made back plates for the L0. One 8" Buck with D1-3 looks like it may not have been mounted. Has some rust, I need to clean it up. I have a pretty nice 3 jaw on the lathe already. This one is nicer, but it's D1-3. I know these are pricey chucks...so it might be worth it to source an L0 back plate and fit it. This is a nice chuck as-is. Would be great on a Monarch.

buck-8-D1-3-back.jpgbuck-8-D1-3-jaws.jpg

Picture 4 is a taper clamp. It should go on the back side flat way. The taper attachment should have a rod that clamps in the end. If you have a rivett manual it likely states what tightened and loosened to use the taper, you can also get an idea from the EE manual as function is likely very similar.

The stops look like they may be Monarch - I'll go take measurements in a bit (have a few days to work on various projects). Both of them show the standard problem of breaking in the clamp area.

Paul

Back