What's new
What's new

1963 Three tube works in a drawer not running right New novice here...

dsbortz

Plastic
Hi Folks;
I have an ex Lucent Technologies 6-63 vintage serial 46201, 10ee. It recently started to wander on spindle speed. Not sure why, but gave a call to Monarch and they said test the leads for T-4 and see if I have 270 volts...

While looking saw only one tube was firing on the left side... the one on the right side was really black and I couldn't see any blue glow... I have a spare pair of tubes and thought I would try and replace the dark one... fired it up and speed went from 200 previously to 2000 now and the tube I replaced fired on the right, but the one on the left stayed off... and when I tried to reduce speed it wouldn't run any slower than 1500 rpm.

Took the back cover off, and found the 31-32 lead and only had 30 volts ac across them...
Sounds like my T4 is shot...

Anyone else ever have problems like this ? Does the T4 transformer fire the tubes ?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I am really a novice electrician...
Thanks

At 66 views and no help, I think what you have for a control is Not a works in a drawer.

Posting some pictures will help us identify what you really do have.

Hi Folks;
I have an ex Lucent Technologies 6-63 vintage serial 46201, 10ee. It recently started to wander on spindle speed. Not sure why, but gave a call to Monarch and they said test the leads for T-4 and see if I have 270 volts...

While looking saw only one tube was firing on the left side... the one on the right side was really black and I couldn't see any blue glow... I have a spare pair of tubes and thought I would try and replace the dark one... fired it up and speed went from 200 previously to 2000 now and the tube I replaced fired on the right, but the one on the left stayed off... and when I tried to reduce speed it wouldn't run any slower than 1500 rpm.

Took the back cover off, and found the 31-32 lead and only had 30 volts ac across them...
Sounds like my T4 is shot...

Anyone else ever have problems like this ? Does the T4 transformer fire the tubes ?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I am really a novice electrician...
Thanks

I have not heard of a 3 tube WIAD but there is a 3 tube Modular and T4 is a constant voltage transformer it has a capacitor on it that goes bad quite often check it to see if it has swelled. If you are not getting the 270 volts out of it it the cap may be bad or T4 may be bad change the cap first.

Sorry folks... I'm a novice to these machines. Not in a drawer but a tilt out tube shelf per se... I have the model with the door under the head stock with the tilt out plate where the tubes are mounted and the later swing out to the right door where the main safety switch is mounted.

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

You have a Modular.
The module is the other side of the tilt down.
We are on the correct control now.

Start with labeeman's post above.

Also see of the voltage between 31 & 32 with the spindle stopped, and see if the voltage is still the 30 Volts range.

Bill

Back