What's new
What's new

30hp monarch lathe

North Country

Plastic
I'm going to go look at a lathe this coming week. The owner wasn't sure what model it is, just that it is a 30hp. The price I right even without seeing it. He needs it gone and and basically is willing to take scrap price for it.
I am pretty interested in it but concerned about cost of operating this big machine. I can't imagine I would ever need that much power. Is it feasable to swap in say a 10hp motor? Would the 30hp motor be a candidate for vfd conversion?

30HP? Okay then :D
Yea, it would suck a lot of power. I would try replacing it with a 10 HP motor or maybe a 5 if you can get away with it depending on what you do.
Abom79 has a monarch with (I believe) a 3HP General Electric motor in it and it's a beast.

Motor for you

I just pulled a 10hp 1800 rpm 354U frame motor off of a 22.5 CM Monarch and you can have it for scrap price if you would like. It is currently connected for 220 volts and just sitting on the floor ready to go somewhere like onto your machine. ;) If you scrap your 50hp model I bet it would pay for this "little" guy. I swapped in a 15 hp 1200 rpm version to slow mine down to 8 rpm.

They only pull the 30 HP amps if you work them 30 HP worth. Probably clutched, not like you are turning the motor on and off so you can pay for inrush.

We have a 24" Monarch N in the shop. I don't remember, but I think it's close to 30hp. The lathe is a beast. Price is right because he doesn't want to have to deal with hauling it off for scrap! I suspect you're going to need some serious rigging equipment to move it.

As stated previously, you're going to need 480v 3phase to operate it. A 30hp motor will pull about 40 amps at full load. Rule of thumb is, with no load, around 30-50% of that. I've never actually tested this, so it may vary. Turning the drive system will have some draw, so figure at least half. Couldn't tell you about inrush current and how long it will last, but that's something to consider.

As for a VFD, a true 30hp drive will be at least $1,000, more like $1,500+. You might get away with a smaller one if you're not going to use the full 30hp. A drive should also help to decrease the inrush by setting the accel lower.

Good luck with it. Post some pics!

Vince

I just pulled a 10hp 1800 rpm 354U frame motor off of a 22.5 CM Monarch and you can have it for scrap price if you would like. It is currently connected for 220 volts and just sitting on the floor ready to go somewhere like onto your machine. ;) If you scrap your 50hp model I bet it would pay for this "little" guy. I swapped in a 15 hp 1200 rpm version to slow mine down to 8 rpm.
I really appreciate that offer!

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm sure I'll be looking for more advice in the future.

Our big 3-phase demolition robots have motors around 30hp with electronic starters to control inrush. They have adjustments for ramp-up and initial current. I'll see if I can find a link to one.

The motor's size is really of small consequince... a huge motor WILL impose a substantial inrush, but once running, the only 'load' you'll be pulling, aside from magnetizing that motor, is the static drag of the machine, and the size of the cut.

If you're only making a 3hp cut, then a 5hp motor ought'a do it.

Of course, if you don't have enough physical electrical power available, you can do what the old oilfield guys and Amish fellers do- bolt an engine down nearby, and belt/shaft drive it by burning dead dinosaurs...

Take a look at the ebay offerings on these bigger machines. I'm not talking about the little 20"ers, I'm talking about the 24"ers and up. The smallest has a 20 HP and the largest that had a motor size listed is 36" with 30 HP. They all have big chucks, and your not going to change these very often. Just guessing I'd say the minimum weight is 15000 LBS.
If you're downsizing the lathe's HP, be aware of the pitfalls, that's why I suggested calling Monarch.
Harry

I went and checked it out today. It's a 14c, 16.5" swing, 78" center to center built in 1941. It's not as big as I expected. I would guess the weight at 6000?
Its in decent shape but dirty as can be. It's not hooked up so I couldn't see it operate and it was -5 degrees in the building and packed itch junk. 4 jaw, taper attachment and not much for extras.
I plan to contact monarch tomorrow regarding a motor swap and take it from there.

Not quite. A lathe with a 30hp motor has gears, shafts, chucks, and clutches to hold 30hp and they dont spin up for free.

That's certainly correct- they don't... but if it's pullin' more than 2hp to spin all that up, there's something seriously wrong that needs to be addressed. My 22" L&S runs nicely with a 5hp Honda.

The 14 C and 20 CU that I had both had 5 HP motors and performed just fine. It will be tough to see the tag on the motor inside the base but if it is in fact inside the base we would have a high degree of certainty that it is not more that a 7.5 hp unless it had been remotored after it left the factory.

Back