What's new
What's new

4-Jaw Chuck reccommendations

D6c

Aluminum
I'm going to need a 4-jaw chuck for my Monarch lathe. It's got the D1-6 spindle with about 14" dia swing over the ways and 8" dia over the cross slide.

What diam. chuck would be a good fit?
I'd prefer one with an integral spindle mount and bolt on chuck jaws rather than one-piece reversible.
What's a good brand without breaking the bank?

I'd also like to find a steady rest, but I don't know how to be sure I was getting the correct one. Monarch didn't seem to mark their machines with model & size info.

Thanks

I have a Pratt-Burnerd 4 jaw chuck for the CK-12. It has the one-piece reversible hard jaws. Typically... I see 3 jaw chucks with the tongue and groove 2pc jaws where you can go about adding and machining your own aluminum or soft steel jaws for specific projects.

Steady rest...the lesson of today is that the original machine manufacturers should have all marked their steadies with their name, and a part/assembly number. Its my opinion that there are pallets and pallets of tens of thousands of pounds of orphaned steadies out there in America. Next best options in my opinion are to graft a new base onto an existing steady that's of similar dimension, or to just roll your own from some heavy steel.

If it swings "about 14" and has a D1-6 Spindle, it could be a 12" CK. Post a photo and state the serial on right end where described above.

"C" models have a tag on head stock stating serial, model, date, etc

S/N stamped on the end of the bed is: CKK 27565
Can't see any tag other than one with patent no. listing....must have been lost at some point.
The 3-jaw I have is an 8" dia Cushman

100_0406.jpg

Back