What's new
What's new

'47 10EE S/N: 29802 Reuild

Here's a little something for qualifying the condition of the ways.
And learning how to insert images inline.......
photo.jpg

Apron Teardown

Here are pics of the teardown of the apron. You can go to the link at the beginning of this thread to see the images in full resolution. Color rendition etc. is all off, I'm only trying to capture the steps involved. I will try to remember to add a title to each thread reply (hopefully that is searchable). I doubt there will be any real chronological order to these entries. As I get time and finish upload of pics I will try to get them posted.
DSCN2626.JPGDSCN2627.jpgDSCN2628.JPGDSCN2629.JPGDSCN2630.JPG

Square Dial QCGB Thread and Feed Leadscrew Output Angular Contact Bearings

Note that the thread leadscrew output has Monarch factory preload spacers and the feed output uses whatever the bearing manufacturer designed into the bearing stock.
The bearings are N.D. 30204 (New Departure)
Evaporust could not save them. I imagine the shock will come later when I begin ordering.
Suggestions for the most cost effective source for New Departure and or suitable sub bearings?

DSCN2664.jpgDSCN2665.jpgDSCN2666.jpgDSCN2683.jpg

Last edited:
"Evaporust could not save them"

I usually employ full-strength Pine-Sol (sometimes heated), followed by a rinse in very hot water (the Pine-sol is water-soluble), followed by compressed gas blow dry (usually CO2, holding the cage to prevent any movement, or as much movement as is possible), concluded by a rinse using Bra-Kleen (or another cleaner which is residue-free).

Then the bearing is qualified to the best of my ability. If no grits or pits are found, when rotated by hand, the bearing is accepted.

Finally, the bearing is lubricated with the approved lubricant for the purpose.

Note that the thread leadscrew output has Monarch factory preload spacers and the feed output uses whatever the bearing manufacturer designed into the bearing stock.
The bearings are N.D. 30204 (New Departure)
Evaporust could not save them. I imagine the shock will come later when I begin ordering.
Suggestions for the most cost effective source for New Departure and or suitable sub bearings?
Were all 4 bearings ND 30204?

I see that you have a NOS source for the ND bearings, but what were the ID, OD and thickness of the old bearings?

Cal

Headstock Removal

More amateur rigging..........
DSCN2711.jpg
And who wants to see the underside of a headstock?
DSCN2715.jpgDSCN2716.jpg

As can be seen, the headstock is definitely scrape fit to the bed.

Attachments

• DSCN2719.jpg
    DSCN2719.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCN2721.jpg
    DSCN2721.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 307

Back