What's new
What's new

Apron thrust bearings

bll230

Hot Rolled
I have my apron completely apart. Almost no wear on the half nut threads and reasonable wear on the bronze worm gear for 60 years of use. Surprisingly the steel worm is not hardened as I thought it would be, but it has almost no wear on it. Even more surprising, the non-hardened worm wore shiny rings into the thrust bearing races which should be hard.

Anyway, I am trying to identify the thrust bearings. The big ones next to the worm have AET F5 etched into the edge of one of the races, but I cannot get any kind of cross ref for that. I also want to replace the thrust bearings in the friction assemblies, but no identification for those.

Has anybody investigated these three bearing types already and come up with modern cross ref information?

Thanks, I have spent the last 3 hours searching the internet. Thrust bearings certainly aren't labeled as conveniently as radial bearings.

The large 3/4 inch bearings next to the worm seem to be GT5, G= grooved washer, 5= (5-1)/16 +1/2 inch=3/4 inch id

The small ones in between the two friction gears is FT 015 F = flat washer, 015= 01 (??) but means 1/2 inch id (you got me)

the larger one on the front and back of the friction clutch shafts is a 05x44, but that one is not available anywhere I could find. Howeever, only the id needs to be exact since there is allowance for a larger od, and the front nut changes the effective length of the friction axle, so there is some small allowance on thickness as well. I ordered 05y06 bearings which are slightly smaller od and .008 inch thicker.

After searching all day yesterday I never found Aetna and searching F5 didn't work, but your information is the key. Searching Aetna F5 I came across Aetna bearings, and the bearing is an Aetna F5, but thankfully the INA GT-5 is the equivalent bearing. The Ebay seller in Palm Desert only has one Aetna F5 right now, thankfully he had a pair of the GT-5s.

The Ebay Palm Desert seller is a lifesaver. He has had all the New Departure bearings in the pulleys and the apron. Only thing is shipping is $12.95 so one bearing is expensive to buy, better to make a list and get them all shipped for 12.95.

Back