What's new
What's new

Bent feed shaft, 10EE square dial

bll230

Hot Rolled
I have been slowly getting my 10EE back together before I investigate the spindle bearings again. Today installing the feed gearbox I noticed the feed shaft is wobbling. I took it out and put the shaft in my heavy 10 chuck, with the chuck at the middle of the shaft, and the shaft wobbles about 1/16 inch at each end. The high spot in the middle is 180 degrees from the keyway, as if milling the keyway caused some stress relaxing and pulled the shaft in the direction of the slot. The straightness tolerance of the precision shafts at McMaster is almost the amount out of round of my shaft.

Is it possible that Monarch would have allowed a slightly banana shaped shaft to be used, or is the likelihood mine was bent? My leadscrew is straight.

In any event, any advice on attempting to straighten the shaft other than bending aross my knee?

It's more likely that someone used a forklift to move your 10ee and let one of the forks get under the feed shaft. There is a machine at one of the used equipment dealers that has a video and the shaft has noticeable wobble.

The shafting is a standard item and can be ordered inexpensively.

Ryan

Don't have the exact part# but Mcmaster-Carr has keyed shafting. I got some in S/S, and just duplicated the ends of the original.

Back